Best Deer Hunting Strategy for rifle season?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mdspoula, Nov 18, 2009.

1. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a friend with a deer cam that has seen deer but they only show when it is getting dark out. Should I try the friend's area and hope that I see one before it gets dark? The other option is should I road hunt to find them on public land. I have seen lots of Deer going pheasant hunting this past weekend while traveling. I guess I just have to be 30 feet away from the vehicle. I don't know if hanging out in the woods in a stand is necessary for rifle season here.
    Thanks,

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I don't agree with road hunting but that is just me . I don't like it when someone shoots a deer off our place from the road ....As for a suggestion find the trail into the field and go deeper into the woods . Just my thoughts .

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    You got some bad information. Per Kansas regulations:

It is illegal to pursue deer with a vehicle in Kansas. That includes driving around looking for deer then getting 30 feet from the vehicle and shooting them. It is also very very dangerous. You do not know what is in the woods behind the deer. I am sure you heard about the collage kid that was killed around Emporia a couple years ago. He was in a field goose hunting in a blind. Someone stopped on the road and shot at his decoys he had out. He ended up shooting into the kids blind and killed him.

It is public land you are shooting into. You have no idea what or who may be in there. If the game warden see's you, he won't be happy.

Just so you know, if you shoot from the road, ditch or anywhere else into any private property without permission and get caught, it is felony criminal trespass.

Setup on your friends property. Find where they are bedding at and where they are feeding. Find the path they are using to get back and forth and set up on it. Most deer are killed at first and last light, so don't be worried about only seeing them as it is getting dark. Deer are nocturnal creatures for the most part. Especially bucks.

I am sure you know, but just in case you don't, rifle season starts December 2nd. :wink:

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    im not a fan of road hunting ether, however i do know that out west it is a lot flatter in some places and you can use a spotting scope to locate deer and other game, then go on foot to pursue on foot in a stalking manner. i dont have a problem with that at all. heck i have done similar here in kentcuky on an old strip mine. you can see deer 1000+ yds off and i would work my way around them and then take a closer shot. if i had a buddy with a game cam and it shows the deer entering in just at dark, i would back up the trail a few hundred yards and then get in the woods early and more than likely you will see the same deer but at an earlier time. thats how we used to use our game cams for bow hunting. we would keep backing the cam up the path until we located them during a period of time would could kill one.

5. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Yeah I would leave the road hunting out of the options.Road scouting can pay off but leave the gun at home or the urge may get the best of you.If you are seeing deer after dark on the cam you just need to follow the trail.You find their bedding area , safe zone you will see them during daylight.I know some big bucks are nocturnal but the urge to reproduce will kick in and they will move during the day.Alot of bucks will rut until they are exhausted and will roam for hours on end following and tending does.Good luck

6. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the information. Yeah I heard that information from a friend so it's a good thing that I asked about it. I have heard of people just walking fields to shoot deer instead of sitting in one spot. Is that illegal too? I would think the deer would smell or hear you hunting that way.

7. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    No thats not illegal at all just make sure to keep the wind at your face and go sloooow.Carry a quick pointing gun with no or very low power optics as the shot will be close and you must get on them quickly.Good luck

8. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Is a 30-06 too big for hunting that way?

9. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    No need to buy another gun for sure but I do like a lightweight lever gun for stalking.Unless you are spotting and stalking where you can see for great distances.If you are stalking thickets ,high grass etc.I would practice throwing the gun up and aiming at a target a few times to help get used to fast aiming.The main thing is if jump shooting like we do around here .Is if it has a scope or not , a scope realy hurts trying to pick up a moving target quickly.Alot of people prefer to use a shotgun with slugs as they are fast pointing and plenty good for short ranges.

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    If your friends camera is catching deer as the sun goes down, they have to be coming from somewhere. Back track them to where they were before the camera saw them. Find the thickest area on the property and hunt the edge of it. Once the guns start going off, they will spend most of their time in the thickest nastiest places they can find. Catch them coming out just before sundown.

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    And above all watch your background where your shooting.

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    TIW= time in woods I spent 10 to 20 days of just scouting sitten in a lawn chair real still watchen. I also explore my hunting areas. I always hear I got em on a game cam. A game cam is a tool good for getting a feel for the deer in the area. But the tru hunting takes foot work following rub lines finding feeding, bedding, and watering areas. What areas the does use and trails they run. Same goes for buck seen alot of buckes use trails goen the same way but 100 yard away in a brush line ect. Do ya homework (talken to land owners help). Find the high % spots hang a stand or set a blind in good shooting distance. Then when ya hunt be part of the woods. Result venison down. Or in my case alot of deer seen just ant shot one yet. I might wanna mention do all this @ least a month before hunting time. Then just a few days of sneaken in to make shure nothens changed. Alot of guys use bowhunting to great effect for pre rifle season scouting.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    30.06 is plenty gun for deer. It will take any animal in North America. Some folks use smaller lighter cartridges, depending on the situation. The 30.06 comes in a variety of bullet weights for different situations.

The advice that has been given on shooting deer where they have been located is good advice, thats what I'd do.

14. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Everyone has their favorites, but I consider the 30-06 to be the most versatile since you can get loads from 55 grain sabot varmint bullets to 220 grain bear loads. Besides that. ammo is available for it just about anywhere from convenience stores to gun shops to Wal Mart.

15. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cant beat it for killen deer out to 300 yards. 150 to 180 grain expanding type bullets in the kill zone put em down. Win CpX 2 ammo is ideal or Remingtion core lock. I perfer 180 grain and my gun seems to fire them well. Averge groups 1 inch out to 100 yards.

16. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man the best thing to do is find you a big field that you know the deer will be feeding in at night. Go to the local beer store and buy you a 30 pack of BL and ride around with a spotlight and find you a big ol buck and shine him in the eyes and shoot him. Its easy and very effective. JUST KIDDING YALL!!!

1. By your freinds trail cam there will be a deer trail leading into a thicket/ bedding area. Find a spot inbetween there and food and sit in a tree and wait.

2. Find some public land and scout it out. Deer in the morning will move from the food to bed and the opposite in the evening.

Good luck and safe hunting!

17. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    "Man the best thing to do is find you a big field that you know the deer will be feeding in at night. Go to the local beer store and buy you a 30 pack of BL and ride around with a spotlight and find you a big ol buck and shine him in the eyes and shoot him. Its easy and very effective. JUST KIDDING YALL!!!"
    ...............................................................................................

Claymore mines are the way to go. You don't have to stay up late, you don't have to get up early, and the deer will already be gutted for you! LOL :wink::smile2: