Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering who makes the best tasting deep fryer on the market today? Or does it really matter? I know Nesco brand is top quality but does it taste the best I wouldn’t know either way. Opinions welcome.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Personally the best one I could think of would be a Cast Iron "Dutch Oven". It's not just easier to deal with, but you can use it to deep fry, make bread, and even cake, with nothing more than a fire out in the woods. My Mom got my Fiance and I a new one two years ago for Christmas and we got the "Wal-Mart brand" Ozark Trail for very cheap, and it's one of the BEST things you can own for camping, day long fishing trips in the woods, and whatever else really. You can make stew in it, you can cook stuff in it, and cleaning is.... LOL don't clean it.

I've had deep fryers before and they're a nightmare to clean, and I've also worked in restaurants too, and again, they're a nightmare to clean! Personally, instead of spending a bunch of money, if I was truly interested in getting a Deep Fryer (Which, I am, because for french fries made home made and all that, it's quicker than the Cast Iron) but I would just look up a bunch of them on Google Shopping, and look at the prices to get a "base price" and from there, find something in the middle in terms of cost, and read reviews to see what people don't like. You can filter out the Reviews on Google so you ONLY see the bad reviews, and use THOSE to see what you may run into, and then, see how many 5 star reviews you see, and read a few of those, and go from there.

You'll end up spending a lot less money, but don't buy the cheapest one.... Sadly you get what you pay for in terms of kitchen equipment most of the time, at least when it comes to something like a Deep fryer. But if you aim for the middle in terms of price, you can find the one that has the features that matter the most to you, and since it's not the "bottom of the barrel" so to speak, you're generally going to have an easier time. Like I said though; Make sure you read some reviews, and do it for more than just one brand, because every brand is going to have a lemon they sent out by accident, so you have to sort of ignore the ones who just got a bad batch, and look for realistic problems, not just user error.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
6,267 Posts
While not as versatile as a cast iron Dutch oven I am very, very impressed with my Bayou Classic 4 gal. deep fryer. All the crumbs stay below the heat source which is a tube running through the oil reservoir so burnt oil is rare. The 4 gal. is a two basket model so if my fish pieces are all approximately the same size and I can get the timing right one basket is being dumped and reloaded all the time. There is a ball valve at the bottom of the reservoir to drain it. On the down side IMO, it is too expensive for what it is and it makes a lot of noise, having hearing loss to begin with it is impossible for me to visit while cooking, for those with good hearing it may not be an issue. Christmas 2019 made three years with no problems and typing this makes me want to get a bag of fillets out of the freezer but alas I am trying to keep my New Year Resolution, where is the celery?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the Cajun Fryer by R & V Works, had it a few years with zero issues. The wife loves this one!!
It's unbelievable how tightly controlled the oil temperature is on this fryer. It's ready to go almost as soon as you remove the previous batch of food, I inserted a candy thermometer to verify the temp and it was real.

·
Premium Member
12,254 Posts
I have the Cajun Fryer by R & V Works, had it a few years with zero issues. The wife loves it!!
It's unbelievable how tightly controlled the oil temperature is on this fryer. It's ready to go almost as soon as you remove the previous batch of food, I inserted a candy thermometer to verify the temp and it was real.
Thanks for the information J. I have been thinking about getting a deep fryer for a while and this type of information really helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts