Best Day since...

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Dallison, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    the shad and herring were running.
    I went down to Charles City, the Wilcox Wharf, today. I must have pulled in a hundred cats. I just went to fish, I needed some affirmation that I can catch fish....seems like I have alot of days I don't.
    I HAD A BLAST....
    It was windy as could be and cold but the fish were biting. Every cast was a fish. I had 3 rods going and couldn't keep up. The largest was maybe 5 lbs but most were at least 3, didn't have to many tiny ones.
    I guess I could go a few more times before the end of the year who knows.
    ....by the way....I threw them all back. I will not eat a fish from the James, I've tried, I don't like how they taste....:tounge_out:

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have tried eating James River Catfish twice. Two years ago I ate a small one 1 1/2 pounds filleted and fried. It was marginally OK but Long John Silvers it definitely was not!!:wink:

This past Spring during the shad run, I caught a small 1 pound flathead. I always heard they were the best. One again, wasn't Long John Silvers that's for sure. I am cured!:smile2: Every fish from the James is officially catch and release except for a few I clean for some old women that bug me for fish. They love them.

3. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Nice job I'll be back on the river Sunday hope the hot bite keeps up.The Richmond Times fishing report looks like they pulled some big ones out last week.

4. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Great job Dave, thanks for the report. I cant get on the river this w.end
    I'm off from 1/2 day Wed. thru Mon next week.

I hope with my luck a Noreaster does'nt blow all week.
    Good luck to all who go this weekend.
    Happy Turkey day in advance to all.:big_smile:

5. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    good times! don't give up on the winter bite, find a deep hole and fish it...

vaughn

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I hear ya David!! That is a good day even if there weren't any giants! We had a day like that last year and it really is a good confidence booster. Sometimes it's nice to just go catchin' instead of fishin':smile2: It's already been said, but I wouldn't give up on the fishing during the winter b/c that's when the big boys like to come out and play:wink:

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Nice report. Sounds like a great trip