BEST DAY EVER?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CaptainBrad, Nov 14, 2017.

1. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    As I sit here in North Dakota watching winter set in (i ice fished yesterday) I'm reflecting on some great days. I am curious what is your best day catfishing? How many? approx weight?

Big Sam, Mac-b, wolfman and 1 other person like this.
  2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I recall a day when a buddy of mine from Ky, and myself were fishing below the Spottsville dam on the Green river. We ended up boating about 20 blue cats in a couple hours. The biggest was about 27 pounds, most of them were over 10. One of the few times I ever experienced a feeding frenzy.

3. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    One early spring day drifting Rend Lake, IL with my wife. The channels were running 2 to 5 lbs. but the bite was so fast we could only handle one rod each. That was the first year both our kids were off at school and the first time I took her in the boat. We have put a lot of bigger Blues in the boat from the Ohio River since but never at the pace of that day.

wolfman, Big Sam, SHOWME and 3 others like this.
  4. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    I envy you getting to ice fish, some years we have no safe ice, others we are lucky enough to get 10 days or so. I love to do it, have all the equipment but seldom get safe ice.

wolfman, Zigarro and CaptainBrad like this.
  5. CaptainBrad

State:
    North Dakota
    Ice we have. I enjoy ice fishing but it is not my favorite, I so much more prefer the boat but when you live here you play the hand you are dealt.

wolfman, SHOWME and Zigarro like this.
  6. CaptainBrad

State:
    North Dakota
    Since I asked the question but I should probably share mine. Living on the Red River I have seen some really really good bites but one day sticks out like no other. It had rained the night before and I had some great clients coming in. When we got to the ramp it was nothing but mud. After about 20 minutes of trying to back up, clean tires and repeat we got to the water. I set up on a good spot from the day before and all hell broke loose. In just over 6 hours we ran out of bait (and let me tell you I had a lot with) at 101 cats averaging about 17 pounds. (That's about 1,700 pounds in 6 hours) I knew fishing would be good and we were going to catch some monster channels but I could have never guested at that pace. BEST DAY EVER.

Attached Files:

wolfman, SHOWME, Catpaw and 1 other person like this.
  7. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    put first name
    Well~ if 'best day' equates to numbers then I have to say it was one night on a pier in the ship channel at Port Aransas. I caught 35-40 "hardheads" and killed every one of 'em and threw them in the trash can.
    I realize how that may sound, but at the Gulf, hardheads are the true trash fish. They rarely get bigger than 4lbs and most of that is the head. Their flesh yields crappie-sized filets and it tastes terrible. They breed like fleas and have ruined many an expensive trip to Bob Hall, and Horace Caldwell Piers since they hit your cut mullet before the Black Drum has a chance to smell it.
    I figured the more I destroyed, the less there were to reproduce. I learned this from longtime saltwater fishermen in my 35yrs. down there and have no remorse. Still though, they keep you busy... o_O

wolfman, Catpaw and Big Sam like this.
  8. CaptainBrad

State:
    North Dakota
    The previous was the the best day in my boat. Now I will tell you the best day in terms of just being there. I had been guiding all day and showed up to school to get my boy, boat in toe and still blood and guts. When we walked out of the school he asked if we were going fishing. I said I had not planned on it but since I still had bait and he wanted to go we would. We threw the boat back in the water, headed to a close spot and let the games begin. He caught a huge channel then when fish #2 was on I noticed a cotton wood tree floating at us. After avoiding disaster we made a couple more moves, he caught a few more fish and we made it home in time for dinner.

He was 6 then. Nothing gives me more joy than watching him have great experiences in the outdoors.

Attached Files:

wolfman, Catpaw, SHOWME and 3 others like this.
  9. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    The wife and I were on Truman, we were going to set out 6 jugs for the week, went to our fav. spot and set out the first jug with green sunfish for bait, the jug just settled and down it went before we even moved away, it was a slot fish which is hard to turn back but we did and rebaited and dropped it back in and the same thing happened again, after taking a just under the slot fish off and putting it in the live well I told my wife that we are just pole fishin today and we set up and could only use a rod that you held onto cuz the bite was that fast, it was like crappie fishin in the spawn!! This happened this year in May I think but it was no stop, locator said fish everywhere and we too ran out of bait and glad of it, my wife got tired of catching and quit, reminded me of the time she caught 5 muskies in one day and she said " Oh NO not another Muskie" famous last words there!!

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Numbers wise, it would be in '96, I was fishing Lake Moultrie in SC and made about a 5 mile drift on a gentle S.W. breeze. That's about a 4-5 hour drift and the fishing was great. I was fishing 4 rods and have no idea how many blues came into the boat but it was insane. I finally called it quits when I had 1 fish in hand being unhooked, 2 more on the floor of the boat waiting to be unhooked and the fourth rod bent over with another fish on and realized I was totally beat. I just sat down on the floor of the boat and laughed my ass off.

Overall though, the best days I have had mostly involved me not catching the big one or the most but getting all the pieces of the puzzle right and putting friends & family on fish and them getting their PB's. Good memories.

...W

wolfman, SHOWME, Catpaw and 2 others like this.
  11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    When i busted 5 blues in a row in the winter on Texoma in a Big tournament weighing in with 60lb biggest totaling 171.10..... Walked away with a few dollars:love: and When me and Johnny won big cat quest on palestine...taking a new boat a little $$$$$ and my 1st Wheeler blue coming in at 65lbs........and when ole Twitch had me live on the phone twice and some video of his twin 100lb + cats on Wheeler...man i got lots more...thanks for memory lane.........:smile1:

Fishwish, wolfman, SkipRat and 3 others like this.
  12. mschein1

mschein1 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    Matt
    Have a lot of channels in Nebraska unless you go to the river. About a month ago, went out to a lake close to my house. There are not a lot of channels in this lake but have never caught one smaller than 9 pounds.

Threw some cut bait out. My buddy pulled in a 17 pounder and I thought well that is the only fish we are going to probably catch today. Over the next couple of hours I caught 4 more. Smallest being 13.5 and biggest being 15.25. We had almost 74 pounds in 5 channels. Was a great day. I am actually heading out there today to see if anything is still biting. We got a whopping 62 degree day today. Yeehaw!

wolfman, Zigarro and SHOWME like this.
  13. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I grew up in Beatrice so I too know all about channels but mostly river fishin, here in Missouri they or alot of fishermen call them MUDPERCH!! I too throw them back and catch blues and flatties

wolfman likes this.
  14. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    put first name
    That's a pretty satisfying rate of catch!

SHOWME and mschein1 like this.