BEST DAILY DRIVER MUD TIRE???

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by BACKWOODSBOY350, Mar 13, 2009.

1. BACKWOODSBOY350

BACKWOODSBOY350 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    MIGHT CHANGE MY TIRES IS A DAILY DRIVER BUT SEES ALOT OF TRAILS AND MUD IF I CAN FIND ANY .... IM RUNNIN 37/12.5/17'S LET ME KNOW ...AND NOT BOGGERS I LIKE HAVIN BALL JOINTS!!! THANKS GUYS

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have had good luck with ProComp Mud Terrains. They wear good and are reasonably priced. As with any tire, the key is in rotating them regularly. Keep your rim width around 8" and as close to the factory backspacing as you can, 10+" rims love to eat ball joints. Goodyear Wrangler MTR is another good one but they are pricey.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i am running BFG All Terrains and dont have any problems with them. they work well in mud and sand (we typically have more sand than mud out here). they dont hae alot of road noise and will last alot longer driving on asphault than a real agressive mud tire will.

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've ran BFG mud terrains, Pro-Comp mud terrains and Goodyear MT's. Out of those the Goodyears had the best tread wear, but still sucked. I finally went with Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, and am impressed with the tread wear on these. They claim 50,000 miles on the tread, but I'm betting it would be closer to 70,000! A heck of a lot quieter, and good enough tread for any off-roading that I'll end up doing, especially with a locker in the rear.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I buy BF GOODRICH All Terrain T/A's. Put them on both of our trucks. Have gotten a ton of miles out of them and still a lot of tread and they take me places other trucks can't go in both snow and mud.

I rotate my tires every oil change religiously!!!!!

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I also run Bridgestone Dueler A/T's Revo's on my truck Rotated every 5000 mi. They willl last 70,000 mi. with no problem. Thanks Skip and Doug.

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I agree with ya 100%:wink:, The only other tire that I see good Off-Road performance along with good tread wear are the Nitto Terra Grapplers, plus the price is very competitive & the're made in U.S.A.:wink:

8. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    BFG AT's are probably the easiest tires to find that offer great trail performance and good road wear too. I've got a buddy that lives in Colorado and has a Ranger 4x4 Ext Cab that he takes on trails every weekend. The last set of BFG AT's he had on it went for 100,000 miles (unreal!). Of course, he rotated every 5000 miles and monitored his tire pressure on a weekly basis. He's never been stuck yet, but he doesn't try to bury it in the mud either.

9. I agree with the majority that BFG Allterrain T/A's are the way to go buddy. I had them on different vehicles, even on a old Dodge Caravan! I have a heck of a time finding tires for my Chevy, it has 16.5" rims.:eek:oooh:I currently have 33x12.5x16.5 Trail Cutters and they are actually wearing pretty nice and they are very good in all weather, but very noisy.:confused2:

10. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    the bfg a/ts gum up and turn into a big donut if you get in the thick mud

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    As do almost every A/T tire I've ever had. They are designed to do a mild spectrum of dirt, snow, mud, and pavement. I though he was talking M/T tires. If you want a mud tire youre gonna deal with some noise, some bad, some not so bad,, and your not gonna get 75,000 miles from a set. The tire compounds need to be soft enough to allow the lugs to flex and clean themselves out, but hard enough to get some mileage out of, its a balance that leans toward the tire design,,,mud.

12. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

You aint spinnin them fast enough!! :big_smile:

As far as Goodyear MTR, they seem like they have pretty good traction, but i have not been impressed with the treadwear on the trucks at work. I know they probably dont have the easiest life on our work trucks, but i would expect more than the 8000 mi we are getting, and we're talking bald, almost slicks. Everybody I know has had good luck with either BFG mud terrains, Timberline MT, and Dunlop Mud Rover.

13. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    haha if 4 grand in 4lo with a 350 chebby aint spinnin em fast enuff to clean em i dont think anything is going to clean em out. i know he wants a mud grip tire but just posted that on the all terrains from my past experience. if you wand a good mudgrip get a dunlop mud rover. they only go up to 35''. i dont know how bad losing the 2'' will hurt you. they are quite on the highway and last forever.

14. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    haha if a 350 chebby in 4lo reppin 4 grand dont clean em i dont know what will. get a dunlop mud rover

15. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    whoops messed her up and double posted lol

16. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I have 33in BFG Mud Terrains on my Chevy and they do real well in the mud and snow and they wear really well. I've had them on there for about 3 1/2 years now and still lots of tread left and the Chevy is my daily driver.:wink:

17. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Over the years that I have had mud tires i would have to say the best on/off road tire would be either BF GR Mud Terrain or General M/Ts:wink:

18. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I had a set of 33x12.50x15 BFG MT KM's on 98 Tacoma w/ 6" of lift for about 2 yrs. and they were still half tread when I traded it for the powerstroke I have now. I guy I used to run around with had a truck identical to mine except it was extended cab and put some 35x12.50.15 BFG AT KO's on it and wore them out and put a set of trailblazer at's on his and we both drove about the same mileage. Another example to offset the weight argument is a guy I knew had a 77 F-250 highboy with a 460 in it and a set of 35x12.50x16 and got just as good of mileage out of them before he went big and move up to 44" groundhogs and eventually rockwells with 56x40 ag tires off of a combine.

19. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio