Best cut bait for South Carolina Blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Catmansc2006, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Catmansc2006

Catmansc2006 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am relative new to SC catfishing. I heard that skip jack herring is the best cutbait. I wondering if other bait fish work too. Such as blue gill, golden eye, small carp etc. Any information would be helpful.

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Here in Kansas cut shad works great. Bluegill's head also works, but shad's the best here.

-Red

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Don, welcome to the BOC and to South Carolina fishing. There are plenty of good baits, including the herring. Gills, white perch run real close to the herring, either live or fresh cut. It may depend on where you are fishing, time of year, etc, but those three should produce almost anywhere in the state. I prefer bait that is found in the waters I'm fishing if at all possible.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    About the easiest to find is White Perch. A can of red worms will cost a lot less than herring and white perch love red worms.

5. Catmansc2006

Catmansc2006 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the information. I will give the gills a try.

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I used to fish Santee Cooper in the late 1990s and if they still have it, Pack's Landing sells a Salt Water Herring that is unbelievable. It is seasonal and tanked all the way from the shore. They bleed like a stuck pig and we killed the blues using them as cut bait. As far as I know, Pack's is the only place inland to purchase them. If they were not available, then use shad.

7. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    White perch, herring and shad are all good baits.

8. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    when i was at santee the salt water herring was 14 a dozen ....took a charter trip out of blacks camp biggest cat came on white perch for cut bait....

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I think the waters you are fishing will dictate what works best. Blue back herring seems to be popular in Santee, and I know white perch, gizzard shad, and bream work well in Wylie where I mostly fish.

10. Dizzy

Dizzy New Member

State:
    kings,mtn N.C.
    If your close to chester S.C. there is a place right on highway 321 called better baits the fellows name is jimmy jones he sells salt water blue back herring and Shad those Blues Luv the stuff:cool2:

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

the herring works good and so does the gills not sure about the carp if you can't find herring the next best thing is shad and night crawlers.

12. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    You'll be hard pressed to find better bait than white perch here in South Carolina.