best crappie boat

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by strutncut68, Mar 18, 2008.

1. strutncut68

strutncut68 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    are there any drawbacks to a v-hull boat for crappie fishing?

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have a Lund SS. Only draw back is that it will catch more wind than a flaater deck boat. Makes boat control a little harder.

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    V's & high sided boats will catch more wind and here in Kansas that can be a big problem.
    Just dont skimp on the trolling motor.

4. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I think it would depend on the water you fish. I have a 16' lowe V and it works great. However,I do all of my crappie fishing in creeks or the backs of coves. I always anchor the front and back of the boat with long anchor ropes.This helps if your fishing a large brush pile.But it will also cause problems if you are using several poles because the boat will sway back and forth in the wind.I like the V for getting to and from my fishing spots,it keeps me dry. Allen

5. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    We use Our Bass Tracker I 1985 model w/a 25hp Merc. It does great when you are getting in the tight spots Crappie sometimes hide in, but it is a BUGGER BEAR to get across the lake in when the wind is up!!!!! We went fishing today, and there were 2' white capping waves, and we were totally drenched by the time we went to the Crappie hole!!!:eek:oooh: I was sure WISHING we were in my Dad's Lund 16' Deep V !!!! That thing has a TOTALLY DRY RIDE, and is SMOOTH AS GLASS even in big water!!

So I would vote on a V Bottom and get a good set of anchors for the front and the rear, or do a anchor in the front and a Drift Sock in the rear!!

Hope this helps!
    Andy:wink:

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I use a 20' skeeter iclass bass boat with a 250 yamaha. Yeh I know most of you are lol but it is like standing on a dock when skipping under piers. It is low to the water and has a 101lb 36 volt trolling motor so the wind is no big deal. Storage out the butt and it is also very comfy!
    Bill

7. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i use 14 ft jon boat with small outboard and fish creeks

8. fatcat_boo

fatcat_boo New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a 18' bass boat myself. i like to fish under bridges and breezways. and it works just find. Could have a little bit more room on the bow but it works ok when the wind is up.