Best crappie bait/lure?

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Gibbzilla, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Where you live, what is the overall greatest crappie bait/lure from winter to April? I've always used small minnows, but I'd like to know a few more options for this winter.

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i always use a chartreuse jig with a little piece of worm attatched. it seems to work real good.

3. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Small Minnows and jigs have always done it for me! Maybe a small spinner or tail if everything else is slow.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

just minnows for me small to medium single are double rig with are without slip bobber. I have used jigs and cranl baits but my goto is minnows.

5. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    A jighead tipped with a crappie minnow or fathead is the most consistent. You can also put a mister twister on the jig and then tip it with a minnow. Leeches also work. There are many different rigs that work great.

6. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The hands down best crappie bait has to be the Cicada blade bait sold at Bass Pro Shops. I have been slaying crappie for years now with this lure. I use the 1/8th to 1/4 oz. model in chrome with blue. It vibrates like a Rat-l-trap and puts out a lot of flash.If you deside to use it I suggest using a small clip tied to your line before the lure it helps keep the lure free to move and keeps the hooks off the line.

7. I definately have to go with the cicada as well. Back home in Auburn Nebraska I can clearly remember catching a lot of crappie on a really small cicada. They must like shiny things too with a spot of green on the jig for more realism.

8. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I've found that the larger slab crappies in the Omaha, NE area like larger minnows whether on jigs or on a float. But I've caught a good amount on beetle spins, small crankbaits, and small Cicadas.

SudDawg

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    The best for me 1 jigs 2 minnow 3 when nothing iw working minnow tipped jig:smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

10. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My favorite is the road runner crappie thunder in black and chart., i also like crappie magnets.

11. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Spring is always minnows. Summer is minnows or jigs. Winter is waxworms on a small jig

12. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Best bait: small minnow
    Best lure: crappie jig (for me)

13. Greg32

Greg32 New Member

State:
    Northeast Kansas
    The best crappie lure I use is the Johnson Beetle Spin in the following colors, Red Glitter/white tail, Chartruse, Yellow/ black stripe and white/red dot. I don't use the spinner that comes with the lure just tie it to the end of my line and go from there.

Greg

14. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    stump mjumper tiped with a minnow

15. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Stump jumper tipped with a small minnow, earlie in the year they work the best for me.

16. simko

simko New Member

State:
    Ontario
    1/2 a worm on a size 4 hook works great for me, just try to get it down near some tree roots etc.

17. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    the best bait that works for me are usually slider jigs and a minnow that or a small tube jig with a green crappie nibble by berkley

18. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    A lot of people will say crappie minnows, but for me, bass minnows work the best. They are bigger and stay on the hook better then crappie minnows and the crappies don't seem to notice the difference in size of the two. As for lures, my favorite lure, is my favorite lure for smallmouth fishing. A 2" chartruese or light green power bait beatle spin combo.

19. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Minnows here followed by Panfish Assasins.

20. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Minnows are my favorite crappie bait by far. next would be a simple 1/64 jig head with small plastic grubs