Best Channel Catfish spot in VA?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JPritch, Oct 26, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Just wondering where you all think I would have my best shot at landing a citation channel cat in VA would be?

2. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    JPritch.....well I did a little checking for 2006 citations and to my surprise only 1 citation from Kerr Lake/Buggs Island ( 24 lbs., 4 oz) although I think a couple came in from Staunton River which feeds into Kerr. I guess everyone must be chasing the blues. I would think Kerr would have an excellant fishery for citation channels.

The top areas or maybe I should say the top citation areas where rivers in 2006 although a big number of citations came from pirvate ponds:
    1. Shenandoah River with 13 citiations
    2. Appomattox River with 10 citations
    3. James River with 10 citations
    4. Appomattox River with 10 citations
    5. SF Shenandoah River with 9 citations
    6. Claytor Lake with 7 citations
    I read an interesting article a while back about a guy that only fished reservoirs for citation channels. Always drifting .

Check out the link below:

http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine/articles/if2805_DriftCats/

Jerry

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Jerry - that's awesome info. Thanks alot!

4. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    this is my opinion...lake anna would be my pick...i don't think it's fished for channels as a target fish for most fisherman that fish the lake so there fore it does not make any lists of great catfishing destinations...after all they did shock up a 58 lber and yes that was a 58 lb channel in anna so the fish are there in both quality and good numbers...lake anna just doesn't get the fishing pressure that the rivers do (for catfish)...another issue for anna is that there are no blues or falts in there so that tends to keep people away also...if you want to get into some quality channels and have a real chance at a citation fish i would pick anna...this is just mt 2 cents.

5. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I haven't caught any citation channels, but i've caught several in the mid teens at Claytor this year.
    Chip

6. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Catmatt
    Yeap.....certain size.....either weight or length. For Channel Cats in Virginia the weight is 12 lbs or 30 inches long. The Virginia State record for Channel Cats is:
    31 lbs. 8 oz., caught in the Rappahannock River, 10-02-1992, by Sue Stanley.

Check out the link below for other species:
    http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/trophy/sizechart.asp

Also the below link for all Virginia State records:
    http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/trophy/staterecords.asp

Jerry

7. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Anglers have come to realize that "bragging rights" are only as "good as the paper they are written on." So, today's anglers receive an official trophy fish award certificate (citation)for their catch of each trophy-size fish registered with the Virginia Angler Recognition Program. Certificates adorn a water color rendition of the species of fish caught by the angler, and are personalized with the angler's name, the catch date, and the weight and/or length of the fish.

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/varp/freshwater-fish-awards.asp

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The Virginia citation program is a good one. I passed earlier this year on filing for a citation, but have decided that I won't anymore. I didn't pass on selfish reasons, other than rain had set in so hard that I decided not to do the weigh in!

Filing for a citation actually helps the VDGIF track the fish size in their managed lakes and rivers. It also helps them attract fishermen to the state and to the sport.

Of course, there are some anglers around here who would rather keep the good fishing a secret! :wink:

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Yeah, there seems to be mixed feelings about it. For some fishermen, the picture and memories are enough. But for the time and effort I put into fishing, and for how much I love the sport, I think it's kind of cool that you can commemorate a good catch with a citation certificate.

10. Ace Laserna

Ace Laserna New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The Va citation program is actually a really good one. If you have someone else on the boat with you, you don't have to bring the fish in to get it weighed if it's citation by length. This helps assure that trophy fish aren't killed just so you can get a citation. I actually printed out several forms so when I'm out if I catch one I measure it and whoever is fishing with me can witness and sign it.
    Send in the form with $4.00 and you get a nice certificate in a couple weeks.

And the best part...that monster is back in the river swimming free.

P.S. I just remembered. If you have a tape measure with big numbers you can also take a pic of the fish alongside the tape and send that in with the registration. This way you can still get a citation if you are fishing solo