Best Channel Catfish bank set-up (spinning reel)

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by TX Fisherman, Apr 8, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    whats the best channel bank setup?

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    One that uses very sturdy rod holders so u don't lose your gear :big_smile:

I use Surf Spin and don't like allowing the Cats to drop the baits.

:smile:

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would Remend a Abu Cardinal C104-C or Abu Cardinal C106-C.

4. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    a uglystick catfish pole you can get these at walmart for 30 bucks and you cant beat them i own 3 of them and love them and like charles said a abu garcia cardinal would work fine

5. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Sturdy rod holders, catfish ugly sticks, maybe and cat-maxx spinning reel. I like to use one with a fast taper for channel cats!

6. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'd recomend uglycat rods and okuma abf reels

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I will back Ed up on this one. I have been using Okuma spinning reels the past couple years and have no complaints affordable and smooth action and durability. (the same I wont say for there baitcasters)

8. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    I stick with the old spincast reels. I have an Abu Garcia (not sure which model at the moment) on a 7' ugly stick and it works great from the bank. I've tried using spinning setups but I tend to get the line hung on the rod holder too often when getting ready to reel a cat in. The only problem with spincast reels is the line tends to coil up sooner than baitcast or spinning reels.

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The Berkley Fusion Combo (sold at Wal-Mart for $25.00) makes an excellent channel cat rig along with a good rod holder. A Tiki torch holder (also from the Wal-mart garden section for around $2.00) makes a good cheap rod holder. Good circle hooks (I like Daiichi, but there are several good ones out there) and cut shad for bait and you're ready to go. Don't forget the camera, we want to see some pictures of all the fish you catch.

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    shakespear alpha and 9 foot biggame rods.been useing a pair for 2 years and they still work good.i fish every weekend but 3 so they get a good work out.

11. The_Mad_Catter

The_Mad_Catter New Member

State:
    Erie, Colorado
    I use 8' uglystick cat rods with penn 209m reels and 12# dia. 50# powerpro. Never had any issues and they have handled many plus size catfish and wipers brought out of nasty snags for me

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Chair (comfortable), Long pole, bait, and alot of patience. Sinkers too.. That oughtta do it for ya! :big_smile:

13. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    i use a shakespeare/ugly stik spinning combo that i picked up at walmart a long time ago. its a two piece, but its very sturdy. as for a rod holder, well that's why God made bushes! but a sturdy spiral spike rod holder is your best bet. as for my line setup, i use a 3way swivel, with about 12" tied to a 3/4oz bass casting sinker and 4-6" of line tied to the hook. works esp great for live bait as it allows the bait to move pretty freely.

14. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use Shimano 4000 series spinning reels and 7 foot fiberglass rods. I bought a metal rod holder from cabelas that is a square made of wire that has vees on top to lean the rods against and it sticks in the ground. I tie rope to the rod holder and clip a rock climbing caribiner? to the rod. Then I won't lose the rod. I duct tape a round bell to the rod tip so I can cast with it and not have to remove the bell when I'm fighting a fish. My reel is spooled with 40 or 50 pound Power Pro braid and circle hooks.

15. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I agree with madtown Shimano 4000 series. The Sonora, Sienna or Sedona are under $60 and work perfect. I have an Okuma Avenger although the reel is smooth the bail has failed after only 4 uses. Ive also heard of other people with the same problem. They should handle any catties up to about 20lbs or so. You can up to a larger one if needed so. Although shimano recently dropped some of their larger size reels for whatever reason.