Best channel catfish baits

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Ravensmavsfan, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    What baits do you guys think work the best for channels in small rivers/streams/small lakes? Excluding chicken livers.

2. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Cut bait, night crawlers, soap, cheese, I have been wondering about turkey livers.

3. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
  4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Cut bait shad, Cut bait Carp/Sucker, cut bream, the list goes on. Stinkbait works ok for mostly smaller channels. I like to stick to natural bait.

Zakk:)

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    shad is the best cutbait, and sucker is a close second

6. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    it may not technically be cut bait but chrushed shad is awesome,step on it til you hear the pop

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    cut shad, cut chubs, cut suckers, and crayfish would be my top choices.

8. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I fish my little creek a lot, and I have to say that liver does work best (especially when its three or four weeks old and still in its original container) but if I couldnt chose that, I would go with cut bluegill or sunfish. This includes the guts of em, because the cats seem to like those best of all. Stinkbait works alright, but try to stay closer to what they normally eat.

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Chunk bluegill or bluegill fillet and bluegill fillet with worms if they get finicky.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You can't go wrong with cut panfish, including Blugill, smaller Redear or Shellcracker, and Crappie. Fresh shad are great if you can net them where you fish. Stripped Bass fillets work well too. Don't forget to use the heads of those bream; I have caught a lot of my bigger channels on the heads.

11. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    One of the best things to remember when deciding best baits. Whats the menu at your fishing area, they eat from this menu every day. Bluegill, shad, crawdad, chubs,sucker, carp.I use cut bait or live under bobber, I use a cast net to sample the menu. Here kitty !!!!!!!! Soups On

12. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Dip baits. Nothing else can catch numbers of catfish like they do, period. The great thing about dip baits is that you can find an area that naturally holds catfish and chum it to make that spot dynamite, especially in lakes/reservoirs!!!!!!!!!!!! I use Cattracker products exclusively anymore, because with extensive testing I've found them to outproduce everything else on the market today. Around 10,000 catfish in 3 months was enough to convince me of that. God bless.

13. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    Cut chubs and shad and sure shot punch bait. When these baits fail to catch fish pack it up and go home cause the fish aren't biting. :rolleyes:

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Stick-baits or Cut-baits (Shad, Bluegill ect.) . :0a23:

Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

15. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I think any sort of stink bait works best for channels in smaller waters.

16. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Shad has to be the number one bait!

17. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Hotdogs, turkeylivers, waterdawgs, grasshoppers, crickets, maggots, catepilars, shrimp, anchovies, garlic trout bait. Garlic marshmallows, bologna, and clams.

18. strider

strider New Member

State:
    Bruceville-Eddy, Texas
    I personally prefer commercial nightcrawlers if I'm short on time & can't spend a lot of time finding natural bait. If I do have time to find bait though, nothing seems to beat hellgramites (in season) or our native minnows here in CenTex (blackspot shiners).

19. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I've heard of a lot of people using bacon as bait.:confused: They said they have had good results, but I have yet to try it. I personally think the best bait for channels is garlic chicken livers, with catalpa worms coming in at a close second.;)

20. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Small rivers and streams, I would think small live Bluegill or fresh cut would produce good fish. And don't forget the ever popular crawdad. In small lakes night crawlers, shad and hot dogs just might do the trick. I know a lot of guys use stink baits to draw the cats to them, but a well placed fresh bait works wonders. ;)