Best Cell Phone for the Fisherman

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by tbischof, Nov 29, 2006.

1. tbischof

tbischof New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have an older phone that gets reception everywhere but it is large and bulky compared to whats out there. Wanting to upgrade to one with color screen and internet compatable for checking radar and such with a camera on it.

The problem is I refuse to give up my excellent reception my old Nokia 6340i model gets. It has taken a beating several times over dropping to ground, rocks, hard floors and bouncing down a couple of flights of stairs.

You could probably use it to club a mugger and it would still work

So lets hear what works out there the best from everyone

2. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I don't believe it's the phone as much as the cellular provider. If you've got good reception now, I would think the biggest thing would be to stick with your current cellular company.

3. tbischof

tbischof New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wish that was true but its not.

I have tried several different phones with the same Company and reception varies from phone to phone

Just took one back that I tried for the last 10 days.

I just change out my sim chip. As long as its an unlocked phone or one by your provider thats all there is to switching phones

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would just like one that works in my area. I have to stand out in the yard for any kind of reception. I'm on U.S. Cellular. Daughter is on Verizon and can't get out anywhere here. My batteries run down just searching for a tower..:angry:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    A politician is the one who shakes your hand before elections and your confidence after.

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Sony Ericsson. Not the new small version, but the one from about a year or two ago. It has everything your looking for in a phone. Very tuff phone, I've dropped it, stomped it by accident, got it wet (had to dry out for a day or two). I get (full bars) everywhere I go. I live in Texas and hang out in the country alot. It worked very well in La. and Olka. also.

6. tbischof

tbischof New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks T-Bone

If you get a chance check and see what that model number is on yours. You may have to look under the battery. For some reason they never put it where it can be seen easy

7. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Tim it's a Sony Ericsson Z500a

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    If ya take the phone and turn it off. Leave it in the truck securely so it does'nt get stolen....it's the best phone a fisherman can have. Then when ya get home, ya say "Sorry honey, there just wasn't any sevice out there." Works every time. As for the weather, usually if you look up, Maybe even have ta take yer hat off, you can get a good idea of the weather. Look for dark ugly clouds. If they are there, move the boat closer to the landing, and fish. If the sky is blue and pleasant, no worries.
    If hot, remove some clothing. If cold, put some on. I know all this sounds archaic, but it actually works well. Hope this helps. I got this technology stuff down to a science.
    :big_smile:

9. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i could not have said it better gary

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I'm with you Gary.For the life of me I can't figure how my generation got by with just a phone at the house.I DON"T want to be connected when I'm recreating be it fishing skiing or whatever.I forbid my son to bring his cell on my boat or on a ski lift.That time is my time and I don't want to know what is going on with anybody else.I fish for the relaxation.The world isn't going anyplace,it will be there when I get back.Besides understand this:Everyone of your converstations is recorded and you can easily be located when you have that phone on.And I mean every conversation is recorded.:cool2:

11. tbischof

tbischof New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I can agree with those statements but then I also have to look at the flip side. That they can be a very valuable tool in an emergancy. You don't have to leave it on all the time but if you need it in an emergency you want it to work and have signal plus take the beating that it will get from the environment.

I am from the generation of growing up with the only phone attacthed to a wall and we still got by.

Don 't want to be connected to the world 24/7 but want to be able to access it when needed.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    My wife wouldn't want me fishing if I didn't take a phone for I usually fish alone. We have a Sprint Samsung.. must be built pretty good.. last spring I was talking with her and a 7.5 lb striper hit my crappie rig... I threw the phone down in the bottom of the boat. It still worked after I spent 15 minutes getting the striper in on a 4 lb line. :lol:

13. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    "every conversation is recorded" by whom and for what purpose?

14. Phatdaddy

Phatdaddy New Member

State:
    ohio
    Has anyone tried one of those new sattelite phones i've seen advertised? I would think they would get reception anywhere, they look like a cordless house phone and those things are pretty tough.

15. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I'm not going into details but your cell phone conversations ARE NOT RECORDED.

16. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I had a bag phone and bought a 4' marine cell phone antenna to go with it. It worked great. I needed a small phone to use in my job and I wasn't getting to fish much so I had the bag phone turned off and got the little phone. When I retired I went to Alltel to have my bag phone turned back on and they told me it was against the law as it didn't have the built in GPS locator. I didn't ask if you could get a new bag type phone that would take an external antenna but I need to find out as I'm now retired and getting to fish. The old bag phones were more powerful than the little cell phones and they worked wonders with an external antenna.

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have Verizon as a provider here in So. Illinois and I have excellent reception. I have never had a problem with any of my phones. I don"t use them alot but I feel secure knowing that I have one as a back up in case of an emergency.

18. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I personally have purchased an iridium sattelite phone. it was real expensive but I now get reception anywhere in the world.

19. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    About how expensive is "real expensive"?

20. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    the phone cost me 1200.00 and the plan of 600 minutes a year was 600.00. but it was purchased for only emergancy use