best catfishing spots near ok. city

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by warcraft1975, Apr 8, 2009.

1. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

looking for info on ok. city,i am heading down there to visit famliy and ma wanting to go fishing while i am down there.i like them as big as i can find them here in kansas so thats what i am looking for down there if i can.any info is many thanks in advance.

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

just alittle help?

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sorry, your just not gonna find them big in Oklahoma City. Yes, there are some resevoirs and city lakes that have some fairly large flathead in them, but it almost takes the second coming of Christ to catch one of them. Most of us are just happy with the lively action of the 2 to 5 pound cats...thats almost like catching a big un. Larger cats are caught in eastern Oklahoma along the water shed of the Arkansas river and at Texhoma.

4. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    there's some big flatties in central oklahoma but not near okc. I'm originally from guthrie ok and lived in okc for a few years. if you're trying to stay in the okc area I'd have to suggest lake hefner or lake overholster i think is how you spell it. if you're looking for big fish your best bet would be to fish the spillways at each lake but if you're just looking to catch fish there's a cove over by stars and strips park on lake hefner that I always caught nice channels as a kid. if you're willing to travel a short distance say 45 mins north you can run into guthrie oklahoma there we have the cimmaron river, skeleton creek, and cottonwood creek, which all hold big flatties and the cimmaron and skeleton hold some big bruiser blues. the cottonwood is more of a flathead and channel water but there's plenty of big log jams that hold trophy flats. best of luck hope I could help just a little:roll_eyes:

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If I were coming down, and you dont mind driving about 80 miles, I would hit Keystone this time of year. It is on the outskirts of Tulsa.

You didnt state whether or not you had a boat, if you dont, then I would fish the outlet. Catch a time they are running water out of the generators, or if they are letting water out of the lake it is even better. I use 2 surf rods down there, for casting distance, at night I like to fish the North side, after all the sandbass/hybrid fishermen call it quits, if you are going to fish during the day, your best bet is the south side. Shad is plentiful down there, so bring a casting net.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'll second or even third what Preston said about the Cottonwood creek. It is probably the best flathead factory in Oklahoma. Problem is it is all posted and I have not found a landowner who will give permission to fish the creek. Boy, before it was posted it was great fishing. I know of a 58 pounder that came out of the creek...sigh...things just never stay the way they used to.

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
  8. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Like Phil said, Lake El Reno is a good lake. I saw a Drum get pulled out of there that was 30# plus. There are big fish there, for sure.
    Another area I like a lot is below the dam at Lake Overholser. A 55# Flathead got pulled from Overholser about 4 years ago. There was a big article of it in the paper. It was caught from a tube, by a Bethany fire fighter, on a homemade dough bait.
    If you want to do some decent catching in OKC, I would recommend Crystal Lake. You may only catch channels, but average size that I have caught there is about 5#.
    Lake Arcadia, in Edmond, has some nice Blues in it. A bit underrated in my opinion, but with the abundance of smaller Crappie, the Blues do well. On the bad side, Arcadia has quite a bit of "debris/pollution" in the water. It's tributary originates in OKC, and brings a lot of the city's litter during storms.
    Lake Thunderbird in Norman (BOOMER!!!!), has some interesting topography. My friend was a kid when the area was impounded, and has shown me some interesting features.
    Regardless of where you end up fishing, look at a few maps of the area. Pretty much all the lake in Oklahoma are impounded and not natural lakes. If you see a road running into the lake, and continuing on the other side. You may have found an old roadbed. It may be true that the eastern part of the state has "better" fishing, or should I say better river systems. But there is plenty of quality fish in central Oklahoma that are waiting to take your hook.

Dave

-Phil- Good to see you.

9. hog223

hog223 New Member

State:
    southern logan county ok
    aw shucks, i see you're from guthrie, what about that creek that flows thru seward & crosses under broadway between seward rd. & hwy 33 ?