Best Catfishing Reels - Reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Catchinbiguns, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I'm looking at getting a few new reels for this year of Cattin. I'll probably get another baitcaster and I'll get a good spinning reel. Any suggestions.

2. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    If you want a good baitcaster, look at the abu garcia ambassaduers. They can be kind of pricey though. If you want a good reel for a decent price, check out the shakespeare tidewaters. Penn makes some nice reels too.

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Ambassaduers in the 6500 series are great reels. Do a search on here and you'll see alot of good info on them. Now as far as price goes, yes they are kinda high, but you get what you pay for. If you don't want to buy new, then try e-bay or better yet, go to a store that sells refub. reels. Saw them today for $40.00 bucks and have a warrty. of 60 days.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Abu Garcia for baitcasters, for spinning I would get a Okuma, or shimano.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I'm with Jack on the Abu's.

6. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Gotta go with everyone abouve. ABU for a baitcaster. Course I'm a dyed in the wool Garcia fan. Been using them for 40+ years and no complaints to date! :)

7. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    90% of my reels are Abu's and i luv them,they are great durable reels.I just purchased a reel on e bay that in my opinion outperforms any of my Abu's

Its a $220 baitcaster,that i got for 80 bux off ebay,A caluctta CT400.My buddy has 1 and it is awesome!All aluminumum fram and spool and rust free bearings.Built for abuse which i am guilty of.
    Its got to be the smoothest baitcaster i have ever casted.You want a high quality reel,look at a calcutta.They are very expensive but i seen a few left on e bay that were well under the price they should be.(i'd recommend not bidding on one until theres only 5 minutes left,to ensure the lowest price to be paid)

If that is still too pricey,like everyone else the Abu's are very very good,And Penn makes a great reel too,but in my opinion the calcutta is the top of the line for baitcasters!

8. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

I like the Abu Garcia's,a 6000 or 6500,that's what works for me.If you don't want new,you can usaually find them at a fishing show for $30-$35 price range.
    Ernie

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with those Calcuttas, they are a great reel..I wont spend that much on a new one, but if I did spend that much money I would get a calcutta.

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    hey flathunter, i have a spinning reel you might like. its an okuma corrida 65 bait feeder. i have landed many big fish up to 50#'s with it and it has never let me down. i dont beleive catfish connection carries them anymore, but you can get them on ebay for around 40 bucks.

11. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Ive nothing againt Abus and Id even like to get a 6500 but I cant say anything bad about Penns

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I don't know much about Baitcasters, but as for Spinning Reels, you may want to look at Shimano's "Tidewater-Freeliner" & "Baitrunner". :D
    :0a23:

Bert :cool:

13. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Sorry I forgot to mention I already have 2 7000c3's, Just looking for some more depth, I also got an 5600 abu fome jigging for those big flats.

14. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Cant go wrong with PENN,since you already know about the garcias pick ya up a PENN you wont be dissapointed and you can pick up a brand new penn level wind reel cheaper then most abus or you can pick up any of the GT series reels for about the same as some abus,give or take. I dont know much about spinning reels but i have always liked shimano and mitchell.

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    $80 for a Calcutta is a steal. Good Find.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Keith I have 3 of the corridas, they are a very, very good spinning reel!

17. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    well,it was $45 at 1 st,until the last 1/2 hour,then it climbed up rather quick.I put a finalbid in with 1 minute left and got it for the 80bux

Mailman is looking at me funny now,cause each time he comes i'm runnin out the door to meet em lookin fer that reel,LMAO

18. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey if your looking for a great reel look at St.Croix Avid reels. They will match a Calcutta any day of the week. Their about the same price. Ihave two of them and love both of them. I think those reels are top of the line period. So far I never heard a complaint agaist them. I've had problems with Calcuttas.

19. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Welcome to BOC Kendrick, your going to find a great bunch of helpful folks here as I have. :D