Best Catfishing Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by sheppie, Aug 8, 2006.

1. sheppie

sheppie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Whats the best type of reel for Catfish ???

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Welcome to the BOC. Reels are personla preference, but the most popular is a good baitcasting reel.

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    It's up to your prefrence and what you are targeting . I use spinning , spincast ,and baitcast , try them all and see what suits you .

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Try Them All Spincast, Baitcast, And Spinning. The Best Reel Is The One That Works Best For You.

5. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    the guys are right its a preference thing.. But I personally use two baitcasters ( Abu Garcia Ambassadours 6000 and 6500 both on 2nd generation Qauntum BigCat rods ) and a spin cast reel Hellious 2600 on a Abu Garcia Workhorse 7' rod... But i would say the Baitcasters are the best..

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use 2 Diawa 5050 bait runners on 7 foot ugly sticks and abu 4500 and 6000 one on a 7 foot ugly stick and one on a 9 foot power tip. It is really up to your taste and budget. I started with bass equipment and slowly built up to the heavier stuff.

7. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    a lot of people say that baitcasters are best but thats up to you, i myself prefer spinning reels, i dont like spincast and i always screw up baitcasters so i like spinning reels. plus its really cool cuz most people dont see those big big big spinning reels and when they ask what i plan on catching in freshwater with it i just look at them with a proud smirk and say "catfish" the response is like wow they get that big?, but its your choice.

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Its a huge personal thing... it also depends alot on what bait you throw... Its harder to toss (not impossible but usually it won't stay on, my pb was on liver with baitcasting reel although the cast was maybe 10 feet from shore) liver with a baitcaster while a spinning reel or spincasting reel can do it just fine... other times it more depends on what size you can catch...

Baitcasters can hold more and heavier line then spinning and way more then Spincast (they can hold maybe 100yards of 10 for the bigger ones, maybe 20 lb test for the really big ones but not much at all), they also have less chance of line twist then spinning and spincast... They are easier to load correctly and they don't really have a way to screw them up other then horrible birdsnests and backlashes from not paying attention when you cast. They are designed for handling bigger fish

The spinning reels have the distinction of being the far casters... why do you think so many surf casters use them? they have little resistance for the line so it goes a lot further distance... Problem with them comes with loading and line twists... unless you spend alot of money (just looked on bass pro and found one for $25 but most are alot higher) on a line filling station or have the bait shop/tackle store do it every time you need new line... its hard to get a non twisty result from loading the spool... There are ways of correcting it but it involves over 300 yards ( my spools take atleast 150-250 yards of line in them) of clear uninterupted space, a swivel and the time needed to walk to the end of the amount of line and back plus some to make sure its right for each reel its not really worth it... They are designed to handle small to large with most being suited for small to medium/large

Spincast are great for learning on and beginners, but aren't really designed to handle big fish, not even the large ones retailed for catfish are made for much more then a 10 lber or so...

9. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    tide water, im going to try them out this week end with you see you sunday have a good one