Best catfishing moment in a feature movie.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by paleocaver, Jul 24, 2006.

1. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    The final scene in Grumpier Old Men really makes my day each time I see it. If you haven't, to summize:

Max and John are lifelong friends who have had many (mis)adventures while fishing in Minnesota. Grumpy Old Men (the first one) was mostly ice fishing, but the sequel (I'll call Grumpier) takes place in the summer. Johns Dad is 95, played by the hilarious Burgess Meredith, who's has been after "Catfish Hunter" for 20 years. It's a fabled beast of a catfish that lives in the local lake. Not long after his death John and Max decide to fish for 10 minutes prior to a wedding (can't say who's getting married, it would spoil the movie for you). While on their way to the church they'd seen a shell-shocked Sven who had just had a run-in with the monster that had bitten his rod in two as he tried to get it into the boat.

As luck would have it they hook Catfish Hunter. The gear is realistic with them using a stout rod with a Abu 7000 on it. After a fight that sees the fish tow them around the lake for a while they finally rustle the huge fish into the boat. It's a nice flathead of around 30 lbs - perfectly fitting the location and lake (would have been a letdown for it to have been a big blue, ya know). After admiring the fish for a few moments, they release it, saying after all the years of his dad trying to catch it, the fish belongs in the water with him (John sprinkled his dad's ashes into the lake).

That scene shows the comraderie of catfishermen and the joy of catching a releasing the fish of a lifetime. If you haven't seen it, rent it soon. The catfishing scene is near the end, but the movie leading up to it is great, as are the bloopers during the closing credits.

Anyway, sorry to have made this a movie review, but I just got through watching the movie on Stars! and had to write about it.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That is a classic movie for sure, love Walter.

3. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    it is a really great movie. i know i enjoy it every time i see it.

4. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    When I was younger I used to think that whole thing was fake. I didn't ever think that a catfish could be that big. Now I know that 30lbs is pretty common.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    SECOND HAND LIONS

Besides just bein a flat out good movie. It opens with a scene where Robert Duval and Michael Caine are in a small pond with waders on gettin cats with a shotgun. LOL! Dam good movie! I highly recomend it!

6. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Scott, thanks for refreshing my memory about that movie. I've seen it several times, but it has been quite awhile. It seems like movies like that are getting few and far between coming out of "Hellywood", I mean Hollywood!

7. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    George, you are right on, that is a great movie also. It's hard to beat Duval! He makes me laugh just looking at him!

8. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    When I try to describe Minnesota to people I often refere to Grumpy Old Men:lol: