Best Catfishing in VA?

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by WHEELMOBILE07, Aug 18, 2006.

1. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Would just like to know where yall virginians think the best place for big blue cats, and big flatheads is in the state and what time of year?

Wheelmobile07

2. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It looks like your avatar was takeing at the catfish pond.I lost a 40lbr last weekend at buggs. I can't see going anywhere but Buggs. State record blue came from there.They have been catching some huge blues lately,drop me a line and we'll hook up and go.I fish there about 2 times a week.The fish are acting funny right now I belive the Thermo Cline has them screwed up 1big blue

3. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The James river is the best place in Virginia For catfishing. I would go as far to say it is among the top 2 or three places on the east coast. The James boasts a huge population of cats in the 50-60 pund range with fish over 70 being caught on a regular basis. The new state record was caught there just a few weeks ago tipping the scale at over 95 pounds. A fish over 100 is just around the corner. The James gets my vote.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Matt,

How is the James River for pollutants? Are the fish consumable?

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    My avatar was taken at a pond but i do most my fishing in the dan river va. When you fish buggs do you fish from the bank or boat. Im still in school but will be graduating in dec. so unfortunately I stick to the banks right now.

Wheelmobile07

6. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have three boats. I don't fish the james. I haven't heard anything about new state record comeing from there.It looked like that pond in Martinsville.If new record is from the james it won't be for long.I live in Callands not to far from you.I only fish for blues,I hate flats.I can't figure out this dell to post my avatar.drop me a pm we'll change #'s.I've cought 31 38 42 this year from Buggs.seen pictures 50 to 75 this year.I only fish the Dan when the stripers run up.Tidal water sucks:big_smile: .thats why I don't fish the james for cats .1bigblue

7. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    hey 1bigblue, if you really wanna catch that 1 BIG blue you gotta fish the james. thats where the big fish live. :big_smile:

8. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    I don't think it's been certified yet, but as I remember it was 95 lb 7 oz, maybe 3 weeks ago. The best fishing in this state seems to be wherever and whenever I'm not fishing! I went to that pond in Wheelmobile's pic a few years back, caught nada. From the pic looks like it's been taken better care of now. Bought used boat last year but between work and weather, and my mom being in and out of the hospital, it hasn't been on the water all year. I live in Bassett area, work in Danville, would love to hook up for some fishing with anyone within a couple hours of here. PM me for phone # if interested.
    Later, GT

9. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    just got back from Dan River...14 channels...7 blues...largest was 8 lbs...all in all a good night

10. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I don't think there is a question about the James being the best place for catfishing in the Old Dominion. It may be the best in the entire Nation. Of course, the simple answer is anywhere you are catching catfish is the best at the moment.

11. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's 4:00 pm boats loaded going to Buggs to try to set new state record :big_smile: . Will post my trip in the morning. Anyone fishing James today lets see what ya'll did. keep a tight line 1bigblue

12. ccfields

ccfields New Member

State:
    Va
    With out a doubt it has to be the James River.

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    James River is the best, I haven't fished there, but from what I've seen and heard it's definitely the best.

14. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Guess i need to get a boat and head to the JAMES.

Wheelmobile07

15. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

Yep. For quality and quantity of big blues in VA the James is the place to be. They even had to raise the citation size from 20 to 30 lbs last year because a 20 lbr is just too easy. My last trip out 2 weeks ago netted me a 40 then a 46 within an hour of each other. Not many places you can get that kind of action. There is a consumption advisery against eating catfish taken from the James. One meal a month and no fish over 5lbs are to be consumed.

16. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Zack you should be ashamed of yourself,you know where the best place is to fish.I'm going to tell them to stop pumping ya'll water down there.Night fisher it was a state wide raise on blues, Buggs Island were I fish 20 lbr all day.The next state record will be from Buggs, it only took yall what 4 years to beat it. So keep that line tight 1bigblue

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    LOL, Barry if you keep telling them they are going to come from the James River and start fishing our waters.:big_smile: I'm trying to throw them off here...lol

Your lake hasn't been giving us any water lately anyway though.:crazy:

18. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    i live in northern va and have read alot about the james and buggs island on this site. i dont own a boat and would love to come and test these waters. is bank fishing a reasonable option at these sites? thanks!

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I know there are a lot of Bank Spots at Kerr Lake (Buggs Island) but I don't know about the James River.

20. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    There are miles and miles of shoreline on Buggs Island that are open to fishing. Just get a map and look for the ramps, you can park and then walk as far as you want. Especially when the water level is down.