Best catfishing in Northern Virginia

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jeremiad, Aug 7, 2006.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Does anyone have a good catfishing location in Northern and central Northern Virginia that they are willing to share? I typically fish Lake Brittle, but have yet to snag a cat.

I am not looking for the big ones--bullheads are fine. Thanks!

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    jeremiad,

The Potomac is pretty good, anywhere around Mount Vernon and up. Burke Lake can be pretty good too, as can be Fountainhead park. I used to fish Brittle a lot, but I got tired of the hit or miss. I either do very well, or not well at all there. On one trip this past spring I caught four or five bullheads along the dam at Brittle in no time.

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The Potomac is always good. So is the Rapp and Lake Anna. If you want cats to eat try farm ponds. Most folks will let you fish if you ask them.

4. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the advice. I'm converting over from bass fishing to catfishin', so I need all the help that I can get!

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    You would be suprised of how many catfish also hold to some of my best Bassin holes around here!

Wheelmobile07

6. ivan09193

ivan09193 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Burke lake is a meh. Too big, with too many people fishing it. For some fun action, look at all of the little lakes that no one actually goes to. Right in the area of Burke Lake you've got Lake Mercer and Lake Huntsman, two very fine lakes with some pretty large fish in them. Go further north and you run into Royal Lake, which can offer some good fishing on occasion. Seriously, though, think outside of the box of big lakes and rivers, and you might run into something good.

7. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Yeah, the fishing pressure is fairly high in Northern Virginia. You know it's got to be true when you see the Virginia DNR mentioning fishing pressure as being a problem.

I have been considering paying the Culpeper County fee to fish Pelham Reservoir and Mountain Run Lake. Does anyone have any fishing experience with these lakes?

8. philg427

philg427 New Member

State:
    Poolesville, Maryland
    The potomac just check the charts and find some deep holes along the shoreline if you do not have a boat. If you have a boat fish the the channels and hold on there is some monsters out there!.