Best Catfishing Boat?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigCatter54, Jan 26, 2008.

1. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    So anyway, I cant get a boat for a little while now but when I do get one my wife said that I can get the one that I want, so I was just wondering, what is everyones thoughts on the best boat to be out on the water in? I kinda like the seark cat seriers.

2. sarg

sarg New Member

State:
    Texas
    It depends on where I fish. I have a 20 Ft pontoon (90 HP)for large body of water. And when fishing smaller river here in East texas i used my 14 ft flat bottom w/a 2.5 HP. I am 66 and it has taken me several years to get two boats:big_smile:

Adjust your needs to the body of water you fish

3. BUCK

BUCK Guest

if your getting a ponton boat go ahead get a triton it wll ride over the waves the other ones will try to go tur in waves.a ponton is no harder to pull there just big and alwar

4. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I am leaning toward a jon boat, as I do duck hunt in the winter, and need an all purpose boat, oh yeah, I hit the sandbars on the river in the summer a lot to.

5. TexDan

TexDan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think that a pontoon and flatbottom boat combo is best. My pontoon is for comfort and big open water. On the other hand my 16' tracker is great in creeks and on mud flats and other close quarter waters.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    if u want alum. go with SEA ARK fiberglass go with caolina skiff :0a26:

7. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Best one i found is one that floats,even if ya have to paddle it ,what ever you get it will ya help ya catch fish,or get away from the honeydew list..Sure am glad i got one..lol

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    It looks like Sea Ark & Steve Brown are in the running for the best catfishing boat.

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a Lowe Roughneck 1960. It's not a bad boat, it has a center console. It could have been built a little heavy er. The center console has cracks along the bottom which I should fix while it's in the shop.

It was a pretty inexpensive boat, I think I gave 3600 for it new in 1999. I have adapped it every which way, so it suits me and my style of fishing rather well.

I have a 90 Merc on it and a 9.9 Mariner. It also has a 3000 watt generator and 7 500 watt quartz lights on it.

I hit a tree with it once so the front end has been rebuilt and I have added to it in the typical redneck fashion, so everyone knows it's my boat. lol lol It works for me and I like it.

Someday when I go to buy another one, I think I'll get a Seaark. 20' or so.

If fuel prices stay high or go a lot higher, I would like to get a narrow 12' or 14' flatbottom and mount that 9.9 Mariner on it. Set it up with stick steering and set in the front. It would be great for running limb lines.

I knew a guy years ago that had a boat with a 40hp set up that way. That boat was great for fishing. I loved it and it was cheap on fuel. Great to manuver as you sat right on the front and with stick steering, nothing was in the way. It would haul real well, flat get with the program on a small river.

10. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I like the Deep-V style alluminum boats. They handle the rough open water well and will also get through the skinny water as well. My Tracker Targa 18 will float in about 18 inches of water with the motor trimmed up. This style of boat is also great for kids. The high sides and lower decks make it a little safer. You can't beat the dry and comfortable ride as well.

11. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I like that brand new sea ark, As soon as I get my truck paid off (2 years) I'm getting one.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    a boat is like a woman or a dog no 2 men will like the same thing its rather personal.look around and get the one you like.i like the big wide john boats by monark and i want tiler stearing on mine.no gimiks no frills just all space.

13. FishOnChuck

FishOnChuck New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have to agree with the two boat option: pontoon and flatbottom. One for comfort and big water == the other for river fishing, duck hunting, etc.

14. clewis351

clewis351 New Member

State:
    texas
    no one said bass boat which is what i baught. its a 19 footer and it hauls but with a 175. i have only been out 3 times working out some of the issue because i bought it used for 3500.00. i took it out yesterday to fish for the first time and as one of the post above mentioned fuel i can tell you to consider it. it drank about $20 yesterday. it did handle the rough water well and no problem in 1.5 feet either this one has a big lower deck area so its ok for the kids but as i was looking i gave lots of thought to getting a deep v but ths one just kinda fell in my lap. so far its a good 1st boat. now i just need to figure out where the stumps are in my favorite lake

15. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I agree with what one man likes another may not. I have a 17' stick steer with a 40 horse that works real well for me especially when I'm alone. Just put all my gear around me and never have to get up. But liking my boat doesn't stop me from going out and looking at all the new boats out there. Hope you get what you want soon.

16. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    With out having to make a lot of mods. for catfish I would have to agree with the big Sea ark's guys.

17. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i have a polarcraft mv1675db. its a duck boat with a live well and tiller steer. i like the tiller because of spring crappie fishing and for a 16ft boat it has a lot of room. bilt a box for my jugs a put lots of rod holders in it. when i go fishing i usually take poles for two or three kinds of fishing. i looked for almost a year and it is the best boat i could find that didnt cost 10k or more. 25 motor really helps on gas too. hope this helps.

18. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I saw a 20' Polar Kraft center console today at the Tulsa Boat Show that I feel is the ideal rig for me, I just can't convince my wife that it is one of life's necessities. Big, wide, deep. One casting seat up front, and one at the back. Since I don't bass fish, but fish only for crappie and cats, I would put side by side seats up front and back...it is that wide. Topped off by one of the new Evinrude 115's....unbelievably quiet.

19. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Hey Jug I have the exact same boat,works great for me and one other person.

20. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    the great thing about catfishing is that most any boat will work as long as the operator is comfortable fishing from it.

i always say, you cant judge a man by the size of his boat !!!!

beware of the little ole man in the 12 foot Jon with the 9 hp tiller on the back. he will smoke you quick.. lol

now if you are considering on tournament catfishing, i think you should consider purchasing a boat that will accommodate a large live tank. to properly sustain several large cats through out the day.

i my self run a 20 ft ranger bass boat with a jacked up 200 hp mercury.
    sucks the gas ,but i can get from spot to spot quickly. it will run in the mid 70s. and takes the rough water great.
    Ive done some modifications to the live well system and storage compartments to create a 60 gall built in live tank to accommodate large fish. i fish a little differently than most , and this is why the bass boat works best for me. i fish from the front of the boat, as apposed to the back, i feel i have better control from there. i have of personalized my boat to fit my fishing needs, so when i get in it , it kind of becomes part of me.

so i think the best catfish boat is one that runs good and floats! one that you feel comfortable fishing from. you just need to personalize the boat to fit your fishing needs...​