best catfishin gear for the ohio.

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Teamcat, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Teamcat

Teamcat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hello all im new to this so bear wiht me:) im 29 years old from louisville.when i was a kid my dad kinda did most things for me and all i wanted to catch then was bluegill cause they was easy:) anyways my dads been gone since 1998 and i dont know much about the best gear,bait or even spots.

ive tried some pay lakes around louisville and some other lakes but not much luck. i live near the greenwood boat ramp and was thinking of trying the banks of the ohio soon. but im not sure where to start or what kinda gear to get aka tackle,line,rigs. any help would be appreciated and thanx again:)

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC
    Sorry about the passing of your dad
    There is a lot of people on here to help with your questions better than I. You say you have tried some pay lakes?? What kind of gear have you got???

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome aboard! Lots of fine people around here!
    What kinda gear are you using now? I like Abu Garcia baitcasters, IMO, their hard to beat. I usually use 6500 c3's spooled with Big Game 30# mono. As far as rods it depends on where I'm fishing. Anywhere from a 7'MH to a 9'MH is what I use. As far as the rig I usually use a carolina rig with a 3-8oz no roll or bank sinker with a 12-18" mono leader. Just depending on the current. For hooks I match the hook size to my bait. Anywhere from a 2/0-10/0. Thats just what I usually use, other people will use different set ups that'll work just as well. Invest in a cast net and you can get all the shad you'll need. Bluegill are also one of my favorites to use.
    Hope this helps some, again, thats just what I use to fish the Mighty Ohio. You'll probably get several other good ideas and opinions.

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Welcome to the boc ! What kind of reels are you comfortable with? Iprefer medium heavy spinning rods 30lbs test mono I don't fish heavy current of the mighty ohio . You will receive plenty of good info here . maybe try down from the falls @ any rate lotta guys fish your area . I fish the KY river around LEXINGTON and Barkley tailwaters to a lesser degree .

5. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC.
    Go heavy on the gear. Bait, what kind of cats are you fishing for? (channels, flats, or blues) Fishing location look for bends in the river with some deepwater nearby.

6. southernhoops

southernhoops Active Member

State:
    in
    welcome this is a very good site for all your catfish needs. we live only 7 or 8 miles apart the only problem is the river is between us. bait casters or spinning reels are the way to go. i like the glow sticks and the berkley big game rods. shad and skipjacks are the way to go but chicken breast can also work. bank fishing around the ramp can be good at times. hope this helps

7. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Welcome to BOC Darrell, sorry to hear about your dad :sad2:, bait wise, you could use blue gill, liver, shad, some dip baits also do fairly well in the Ohio, You should go over to Clarksville and talk to some guys in the Bass Pro Shop too, and see if they have anything people have been suggesting

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC I think you will find a lot of bank fishers on here , maybe they will chime in and help you on your rod and reels

9. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    when i take my boys fishin we like to use dip bait, and let me tell ya i dont think there is any thing better for channle cats and you will catch lots of em, good luck:wink:

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I wish I had a mustard seed of faith indip baits . Maybe because I get them at wal-mart . Whatare some that have produced for you guys . ?

11. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Buy a cast net at Wal-mart, and learn to throw it, buy a heavy rod and reel that will handle 30lb line. Get you some 8/0 hooks and 3/0 sinkers. Cast net some Shad or blue gill and you are in business. Lay some live or cut bait next to deep water and just wait. The Ohio river is full of nice catfish!

12. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Darrell, go to the bass pro in clarksville, and tell them you are new to catfishing and are just looking for something cheap to get you started. the guys there are real nice and know what they are talking about. they will get you started with the cheapest best equipment they have. unlike some other places i have been they wont try to talk you into the more expensive stuff, because most of them in there know that if they help you out then you will be back in the future when you have more knowledge and a better grip on what you want......but if i were to tell someone how to start up, i would suggest useing openfaced reels at first because they are easier to use. and once used to them and how the fish bite and fight, get a baitcaster and learn to use it. i started out on openfaced reels but they all now sit in the garage collecting dust because i use baitcasters now. but for a beginner i would definately go openfaced. and get medium/heavy rods. i say ugly stick because i love them. but if you dont want to pay that kind of price, they have cat maxxes that are relatively cheap and work pretty efficiently. and baits....well that all depends on what you are wanting to catch. and it seems my brothers on here have done an amazing job at helping you on that one.

13. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I'm a Louisville native, too. I will be out of town this weekend camping, but if you ever want to take a trip up to BPS, or just sit around talking fishing at the Waffle House or something, just let me know and we can meet up. That goes for anyone else around here in Tha 'Ville, too.

14. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    we have tryed lots of diffrent types of dip baits you name it, but give docs a try and it will become one of your favorites, but like i said its for channle cats. and i also think that dip baits work best on rivers or where you have current, if you fish dips on a lake suspend it under a bobber hope this helps.

15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Go heavy, but you don't need to go expensive. Check out the Berkley big game rods and the Shakespeare tidewater or arsenal reels. Good luck and welcome to the boc

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you are gonna fish from the bank, you may need a long rod to reach those holes that are far out..Here is what I use.

Rods- American spirt nite stik, 12 ft cost 40 bucks.

Reels Abu garcia 6500 cost 75 bucks.

I also use berkly big game line in 20-25lb test, and 8/0 circle hooks.

You will want to invest in a cheap castnet to get some fresh cut bait, shad, suckers etc...Cut bluegill works well also.

Next will be time, time spent finding a good spot to fish..A worn down path useually means a fished out hole.

17. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would definately go with berkley trilenes big game line. i wouldnt go cheap on line. and big game isnt all that expensive. and to me its the greatest thing since sliced bread. i will never use another line likie big game. ill try others every now and then and just dont like it compared to the big game