Best Catfish To Eat?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by RedXpress, Mar 19, 2008.

1. RedXpress

RedXpress New Member

State:
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Whats your thoughts on the best catfish to eat? Flatheads, Blues or Channels? I'd be interested in in the same question posed with 20lb and up catfish as well. I've heard the big blues eat well, what about the others over 20lbs?

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    when i didnt cpr i used to eat all my catches and i thought flaties were pretty good nut thats me and now a days i turn loose everything bigger than 20lbs

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I prefer blues and channels 6 lbs and under, flats are usually turned back.

4. jamesgrogers

jamesgrogers New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    channels and blues to 10 lbs, flats up to 17lbs but my favorite is flats.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    My preference is blues. They seem to have the whitest and best tasting meat. Especially those Mississippi Whites. My mouth is watering now!!:dribble:

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, I would have to say that channels are my favorite.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome Kyle. I never met a catfish I didnt like to eat. Theyre all good.I like blues the best ,cause I get to eat more of em . Flats are very mild tasting to me ,but the bigger ones have a beef like flesh ,can be tough. Channels here in N M are great eating ,havent tried them from anyplace else.

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Tough decision cause I like em all but if I had to choose one...Flatheads are the best tasting to me.

9. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I like the blues best, but flats aren't far behind.

10. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Oh yeah, and I don't keep the big ones. Any fish is better when young, and we need the big ones to make babies so we will continue to have the eaters.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ive never aten blue. they arnt native in my area and the lakes that have them stocked i dont frequent. i eat pound after pound of channel cat all through the year but i would take flathead everytime over the channel. i ate flathead up to 25-30lbs and they were white flakey and great.:big_smile:

so best imo from what ive had. flatheads.

p.s. eat a few big ones too. if we eat all the lil ones wheres the next generation coming from?????????????????????????

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Flatheads are yummy!:big_smile:

13. fisherman83

fisherman83 New Member

State:
    IL
    If I want catfish to eat, I usually go to my Grandpa's pond and catch the little channel's (pan size ones). Farm raised cats taste better to me. Never ate blues or flats just the 1-3 pound farm raised channel catfish for me.

14. vtjefferson

vtjefferson New Member

State:
    IA
    i like em all but prefer flatty over channels and have never had the chance to taste blue ive never caught one