Best Catfish Structure?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ESipes_89, Nov 12, 2007.

1. ESipes_89

ESipes_89 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hi,

I'm still trying to learn the ropes and my biggest problem so far is understanding the best structure for catfish. I've included an arial photo and a crude topo map of the pond I fish most often. There have been some fairly large catfish caught out of this pond but no info on where they were caught. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Eric

PS, I'm not sure but, you might have to save the maps to your computer and open them with the image preview or some other image viewer to get a better (bigger) picture.

Attached Files:

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Eric, where did you get the pics from?
    I'm trying to get a better look at them.

:004:

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    also add more details on the water please. forage base? kind of cats? water clearity? weed abundance & type? is there timber? is there rip rap? max depth?

looks like a sweet pond with that creek going threw it! you could really clean up after a rain were the creek enters.

4. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great looking pond. If there are flatheads there then you need to look for structure and cover. They are predators and utilize ambush bites, so live bait is important. Target underwater trees/wood. The creek looks like it might have undercut banks and these are also good spots for flatheads. Most ponds have good numbers of channel catfish and they can be found in many more spots. Right now, with colder weather, they will be deeper but not too far from shallower water where they move up to feed during the day. The creek bed throughout the pond would be a good place to start. During warmer weather, look for flats, current breaks in the creek arm, cover, etc.

mike in SW VA

5. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Right now through winter, I would probably fish any type of structure near the submerged creek channel close to the dam in deeper water. Early next spring, I would go up both creek arms and try to get into a little current and fish any structure there. Underwater bends in the creeks and the submerged junction of the 2 creeks would be a good place to try also. I prefer woody cover, but catfish will use what's available. It also depends on what kinds of catfish are in the lake and other structure I can't see from the maps. Good luck fishin'.

6. ESipes_89

ESipes_89 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The pic was found here: http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=11&Z=14&X=1266&Y=9803&W=1 If you zoom in all the way you can accually see the stumps and weeds in the water.

Sorry about the small pics but the forums have a size limit and they shrank 'em.

There accually isn't a creek channel but rather a dead end spring.
    This pond is stocked with Channels, bullheads,and Flats.
    There is plenty of stumps along where the spring use to run.
    The bottom is comletely covered with weeds.
    The deepest part is around 20ft. or so.
    It's about 50-60 acres in size.
    No rip-rap the dam is all dirt.
    Glass clear water.
    Great Bass and Crappie fishing.
    Plenty of bream such as bluegill, redear, greens, ect.
    Species include Largemouth Bass, Black Crappie, Bluegill, Redear Sunfish, Green Sunfish, Hybrid Sunfish, Grass Carp, and Saugeye might be added in the spring to control the stunted crappie growth.

Hope this helps to give a better picture,
    -Eric

7. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Looks like some sort of channel running from boat ramp to boat ramp my try there, check sudden drops from shallow to deep water near the bank. both ends of the creeks look like possible targets. Any logs trees hangin from bank into water may be possible targets ~ i could be wrong but thats where i would start

8. ESipes_89

ESipes_89 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I got them from the site listed above and created my own crude topo and marked the timber. Mind you it was done from memory. I fish there for bass at least once a week.

There is a fairly deep channel there and I think that's where I'll start. Either there or in the channel nearer to the stumps on the N side. Also the only timber hanging out over or into the water is over fairly shallow areas.

Thanks,
    -Eric

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Eric, If you know where the old creek channel runs you will do best if you put some baits in it and some baits on the flat next to it. In a pond situation the fish are usually better fed than in a river or large lake so you may have to put in some extra time. If you want to catch the largest channels in the pond or any flatheads you will have to use live bait. Big gills, crappie, or baby bass up to a pound for flatheads, and 2 to 4 inch gills or chubs for the channels. Don't forget to try some cut shad or gill. Fish as close to the channel as you can from the bank, if there is a weed edge fish some baits on the outside edge and some on the inside edge near the bank. If you sit out there in the dark and don't make noise you will catch fish. If you wanna test this tie a 5ft length of 40 or 50 lb test on a 8/0 hook and put on a 5 in bluegill and toss it into the weeds and come back in the morning. You'll have a big channel on it cause it was quiet.