Best catfish skinners?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by dinkbuster1, Jun 3, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    would like some input on what brand of cat-skinners are best, and where i can buy a pair. i had a pair years ago that someone bought for my in KY that were just awesome! i lost them a long time ago and i still havent found a pair that would compare to them, i never did know the brand name of them either. i currently own a pair of Rayburn's "fishermans pinchers" that i got from cat-connection and they work ok but i want something better. i just cleaned a mess of channels and im fed up with them.

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    just saw a pair on ebay..don't know what brand but i hope it helps

3. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Say Mike I have a pair made of cast iron That I bought from CC years ago. They are a presision instrument they were also advertised in catfish insider when it was quarterly. The were about $20 then Maybe some one still has them

SE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE NATIONAL GATHERING

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The best catfish skinners is a pair of piles. that will always do the trick.

5. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Unfortunately, Most Of The Catfish Skinners Are Junk And Don't Work. I've Always Had To Use A Sharp Fillet Knife On The Fish I Clean But Almost All Of The Catfish I Catch, I Practice C.P.R.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    ive got a pair of Eagle Claw skinners i like really well there a lot larger than the usual kind got them at a bait shop in Hailyville OK

7. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree with Cj. I just use a pair of pliers also. Works fine for me

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    is a nice sharp filet knife, and never look back!
    Catch, clean, get on with your life!:smile2:

9. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Time to Go Electric.
    Its amazing once you get it down how fast it goes and how easy it is.
    Make sure you get a set with a larger blade on it.
    thanks
    Larry

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Small Hoof Nippers is what many of the old folks prized and used.You can still pick them up at the flea markets or under Farriers Equipment on the INTERNET.Also Cutting Edge Nippers under tools.The new ones are sharp and will cut through the skin.You dress a new pair with a stone to take the sharpest edges off and then they work well.peewee-williams

11. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Peewee, That's what Daddy used my whole life. We looked everywhere after he died and never did find them. They sure worked good but I wanted them just because they were his.

ST

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    If you want to clean them fast use an electric knife. You lay them flat on their belly, cut vertically in to the spine. When you get to the spine flip the fish on it's side and cut right through the ribs down the spine to the tail but leaving the skin attached to the tail. Flip the fish over onto it's skin and run the knife down between the skin and the fillet. When done, repeat on the other side. After both fillets are separated from the fish and skin cut out the section of the ribs for a boneless skinless fillet. A 3-4lb fish can be cleaned in approx. 2-3 minutes.... about the same amount of time it takes me to skin one with pliers.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for all the input. PLIERS!?!?!?! YOU STILL USE PLIERS? go to wallyworld and pick up a cheap pair of catfish skinners, youll never use a pair of pliers again!

14. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mike,
    You might want to try Memphis Net & Twine in Memphis,TN. They carry all kind of supplies for commercial fishermen. They carry a pair of Maybrun pincher's that many of the commercial boys use. I'm not sure if they have a website or not but I'm sure if you do a search on Memphis Net & Twine you'll find information on them. Hope this helps. I just happen to think I have an old catalog from them. Here's the website www.memphisnet.net,also have phone #1-800-238-6380. Address,2481 Matthews Ave.,P.O. Box 80331,Memphis,TN 38108. E-mail,memnet@memphisnet.net. Hope this helps you out.
    Glenn

15. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I don't know if anyone has tried this, but my dad taught me to use a pair of really long needle-nose pliers. Pinch the skin the full length of the pliers, roll the pliers a few times untill the skin is wrapped good and then just pull. It works great on the small ones. On the larger fish just fillet the bone side, flip it over and then fillet the skin off...no gutting or anything.

16. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I have to admit...I'm stuck in the old days and still use pliers :embarassed:

17. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i can not answer your question, BUT for many years i skinned the kitties and i normally used the nail in the tree/with pliers method. Due to my own personnal choice, i got tired of skinnin the kitties, and for many, many years either gave away some nice eatin size fish or threw them back.

Some 10+ years later i was introduced to filleting, mostly from surfin the net. I made a decision...heck if that jerk can do it, i am gonna give it a try.

My first filleted fish??... a 7lb carp that i caught on an ultralight rig with 4lb test line...lol. Man, i REALLY butchered that fish, but looking back on it, I could not have chosen a better fish to start on. Y-bones, hard scales, what a flippin nightmare, but i was only practicing, and got some nice catfish bait out of the practice.
    I then got to 'practice' on walleye, crappie, rainbows, cutthroats and a rare hybrid/wiper. It didn't seem to bad after a while. Some time past and i got to try this new "filletin" thang on a channel..once again with some help from surfing the web.
    I have to say that catfish is the easiest fish to fillet in my personal opinion. I can fillet smaller catfish 1-3 lbs, in about 2-4 minutes a piece..if i have my fillet knife sharp. An electric is even easier.

the thing i like the most about filletin kitties is that i can cut virtually all the meat off the skeleton and not cut into the "gut pack".

cyas
    rc

18. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    Best skinners I ever got was from In-Fisherman. They were solid cast iron with a stainless spring. Was a long time ago and I don't know if they still have them but may be worth a try.

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Back in the old days I skinned mine, but now I just fillet them off the skin. After filleting thousands of perch, bream, and crappie, I got to the point where cutting the skin off a catfish fillet was easy!!

20. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i mostly filet mine with electric but on bigger fish,flatheads up to 15 lbs,i use a small pair of vice grips.works for me