Best catfish recipes

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by baptistpreach, Jul 16, 2007.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I know catfish are good eating. I enjoy them at the restaurant, but I need a good recipe to make at home! Please share your best ones! I have heard people cook them on the grill, but I have only fried them in oil so please broaden my horizons! Thanks in advance,

2. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Welcome to the BOC Diner section, David. The Member Cookbook has alot of great recipes, including a bunch for catfish. You can go to the cookbook through this section or follow this link in my signature.

3. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Thanks, I didn't know there was such a section!

4. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    i love it in a stew
    My wife loves some fried catfish but i prefer a stew.
    I have worked on this for awhile and thik it will hord up to the test.
    When i make it i use a double so it will not burn. This is my recipe.

about 8 to 10 lb. catfish fillets
    (8) med. onions
    (5lbs.) potatos
    (2)- 6in. by 6in. slabs salt pork
    (1)- 12in. by 6in. slab of bacon
    (2)- 29oz. cans diced tomatos
    (1)- 29oz. can tomato sauce
    (1)- large bottle ketsup
    texes pete (to taste)
    black pepper (to taste)
    minced garlic

I wash the salt off the salt pork and slice it into 1/2 in. slices down to the rind
    i do the same with the bacon and then fillet the meat from the rind.
    i lay the slices down and cut them long way and then turn them and cut into cubes.
    now i take a pot and put in about 3 heaping tbsp. of minced garlic in it and put in the meat cubes and cook until done.
    take out the meat with a spoon with holes to let grease drain.
    have the onions cut up the way you want. i cut mine into chunks
    fry them in the meat grease
    while you are cooking this you can have the potatos cut into cubes and cooking
    also have the fish cooking too.
    put the fried meat, potatos,onions, all three cans of tomatos, and ketsup into a double boiler
    drain fish and flake it up and add to pot
    add pepper and hot sauce to taste
    I cook mine for 3 hrs. and then let it sit about 6hrs. and then put back on for 2 more hrs. this gives it time to blend all the flavors together.
    if it gets too thick thin with fish water

THIS IS MY STEW! HOPE YOU LIKE IT

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Catfish Gumbo

4 slices bacon, diced
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    2 cups fresh cooked okra
    2 cups canned tomatoes, undrained
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 cup lemon, thinly sliced
    3 cups boiling water
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 drops Tobasco sauce (more or less, to taste)
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 TBS flour
    2 cups cooked catfish, boned, broken into large chunks

Cook bacon over medium-low heat in a heavy Dutch oven or stock pot until fat is rendered. Add 2 TBS butter and the onion; cook until transparent. Add okra, tomatoes, garlic, and lemon. Bring to a boil; add boiling water, salt, Tabasco sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Lower heat and simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour. Blend remaining butter with the flour; add to the simmering stew a little at a time, stirring constantly. When thickened, stir in catfish. Heat to boiling. Serve over rice.
    Serves 4.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Grilled Catfish With Tangy Orange Sauce

1/4 cup orange juice
    2 TBS vegetable oil
    2 TBS light soy sauce
    1 TBS lemon juice
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/8 tsp pepper
    4# catfish fillets

1. Prepare grill or broiler

2. Mix orange juice, oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and pepper in a bowl. Brush catfish fillets with mixture.

3. Place fillets on oiled grill rack or broiler pan. Grill or broil about 4" from heat source for 5 minutes on each side, or until fillets flake easily when tested with a fork. Brush frequently with sauce while cooking.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Catfish Courtbouillon #1

2 large catfish fillets
    1 cup finely chopped onions
    1/2 cup finely chopped celery
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/3 cup butter
    1/3 cup flour
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp cayenne (red) pepper, or to taste
    3 large tomatoes, peeled and quartered, or a 1# can of tomatoes
    3 cups water
    2 cups cooked rice (hot)

In a deep skillit or Dutch oven mix butter and flour together over low heat to form a roux. Be careful not to burn the roux. If you do, start over. Add the onions, celery, and garlic, and saute till tender. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, cayenne, and water. Simmer covered for 20-30 minutes. Add fillets and continue to simmer until fillets flake easily when tested with a fork, about 15-20 minutes. Serve over rice.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Catfish Courtbouillon #2

1 3#-5# catfish
    1 cup oil
    1 cup flour
    2 cups chopped onion
    2 cups chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    2 TBSP chopped garlic
    1/2 cup chopped fish pieces
    1 cup diced tomatoes
    1 can Rotel tomatoes
    1/2 cup tomato sauce
    3 quarts fish stock
    juice of 1 lemon
    3 bay leaves
    pinch of thyme
    pinch of dill
    1 cup chopped green onions
    salt & pepper to taste

Fillet the catfish and cut fillets into 2" square cubes. Place the bones & head in a pot with one gallon of water, one cubed onion, one stalk of celery, 2 bay leaves, and 1 TBSP of peppercorns. Bring to a rolling boil and cook 30 minutes, skimming off the impurities that rise to the surface. Strain and reserve 3 quarts for the courtbouillon. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add flour, and using a wire whip, stir constantly until you have a dark brown roux. Add onions, celery, bell peppers, garlic, and saute until vegetables are wilted, about 3-5 minutes. Add chopped fish, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and continue to saute until fish is cooked into the roux mixture. Add fish stock, one ladle at a time, until it has all been added. Add lemon juice, bay leaves, thyme, and dill. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce to a simmer. Allow to cook about 30 minutes. Add green onions and season to taste with salt & pepper. Drop cubed catfish fillets into the sauce and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes, just until the fish is thoroughly cooked. Remove from heat. Check to see if any final seasonings need to be added, and serve over steamed white rice.

9. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    How do ya decide Jerry? Go by the sign of the moon or draw straws? I have a hard enough time catching the things then figuring out how to light the stove.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Catfish in Blue Corn Jalapeno Crumb Coating

1 1/2# to 2# catfish fillets
    3/4 - 1 cup blue cornmeal
    1 jalapeno chile, finely minced (more or less, to taste)
    2 garlic cloves finely minced
    1/2 tsp salt
    oil for frying
    salsa and lemon or lime wedges

Rinse fillets and pat them almost dry, leaving just enough moisture on them for the cornmeal mixture to stick. Combine cornmeal, jalapeno, garlic, and salt in a shallow bowl.

Heat oil in deep fryer or put about 1" in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Roll each fillet in the cornmeal mixture, making sure each fillet is well covered. Place in hot oil. Turn when brown if using skillet. Fry until both sides are browned and fish just begins to flake when tested with a fork. Serve with salsa and lemon or lime wedges.
    Makes 4 servings

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lots of good eatin there ! :smile2:

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My theory about the moon is, if it hasn't fallen into the sea, it's a good time to go catfishing.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Green Fish Curry

1 1/2#-2# catfish fillets
    12 fluid oz. coconut milk
    3 TBSP green curry paste
    1 TBSP lemon grass, finely chopped
    2 TBSP fish sauce
    2 small green chiles, chopped
    2 TBSP chopped fresh basil

Mix the curry pastge with the coconut milk and bring it to a boil. Add the fillets, lemon grass and fish sauce. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for 10-12 minutes, until the fillets flake easily when tested with a fork. Add remaining ingredients. Cook for 3 minutes more. Serve over white rice.
    Serves 4

You should be able to find fish sauce in the same section where you find soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, etc.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Catfish Jambalaya

1#-1 1/2# catfish fillets
    4 yellow onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1/2 bell pepper, chopped
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    1/2# margarine
    1 10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes
    4 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
    salt to taste
    Cayenne (red) pepper to taste
    3 cups white rice, cooked
    onion tops, chopped

Put all ingredients except fillets and onion tops into a saucepan and cook until mixture starts to turn light brown. Season with salt and pepper while mixture is cooking. Add catfish and cook 15-20 minutes longer, until fillets flake easily when tested with a fork. Mix with rice and sprinkle chopped onion tops over each serving. Serve hot.
    Serves 6

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Catfish Etouffee

5# catfish fillets, cut into large pieces
    1/4 cup water
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp red (cayenne) pepper
    3 TBSP salad oil
    2 pods garlic, minced
    1 bunch parsley, chopped
    1 large bell pepper, chopped
    1 large bay leaf
    2 TBSP flour
    1/4 tsp thyme
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    2 slices lemon
    1 large bunch green onions, chopped, including both white & green parts
    1 1/2 cans tomato sauce

Use a cast iron pot; something like a dutch oven, with handles on both sides, so you can pick it up and shake it, rather than stirring.

Mix salt, black pepper, & red pepper. Rub the pieces of fish well with the mixture. Put oil into the unheated pot. Arrange half of the fish on the bottom. Mix the chopped vegetables and sprinkle half over the fish. Sprinkle 1 TBSP flour over the vegetables. Pour half of the tomato sauce ovr the vegetables. Repeat to use other half. Add the thyme, bay leaf, lemon, and water. Place pot over low flame and cook slowly for one hour or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Shake pot often to prevent fish from sticking. Do not stir! This will break up the pieces of fish. When done, taste to see if you need to adjust the seasonings. Serve over white rice.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Red Bean & Catfish Chili

2 TBSP vegetable oil
    1 large onion, minced
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 TBSP chili powder
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp red (cayenne) pepper
    1 16-oz can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
    1/2 tsp salt
    black pepper to taste
    1#-1 1/2# catfish fillets, diced

In a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil and next 8 ingredients and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes, green pepper, kidney beans, salt, and pepper. Stir for one minute. Plce the diced catfish fillets on top of the chili mixture and gently stir them into the chili. Turn down heat & simmer for 15 minutes, or until fillets flake easily when tested with a fork. Serve immediately. Goes good with Mexican cornbread.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Fish Puffs #1

1/2# cooked, boneless, catfish
    2 oz. self rising flour
    1/2 oz. chopped parsley
    salt & pepper to taste
    2 eggs
    milk
    cooking oil

Flake fish with a little of the liquid it was cooked in. Add flour, seasonings, and eggs. Add enough milk to make a soft consistency. Heat oil; hotter for small puffs, not so hot for larger puffs; about a TBSP is a good starting size. Drop dollops of mixture into hot oil and fry till golden brown. They should puff up quite a bit. Serve hot. Goes well with mashed potatoes and peas.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Fish Puffs #2

10 slices home-style white bread, toasted
    3/4 cup evaporated milk
    2 TBSP all purpose flour
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    3 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
    8 oz. flaked catfish, cooked
    20 thin strips pimento, canned

Preheat oven to 400. Using a 2" round cookie cutter, cut toasted bread into rounds. In a small saucepan, whisk together the evaporated milk, flour, and pepper. Cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Stir in the catfish. Using a tablespoon, mound the catfish mixture onto the bread rounds and place onto a baking sheet. Bake for 5 or 6 minutes, or until lightly browned. Top with pimento strips.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Fish Cakes

1 egg
    1 TBSP lemon juice
    1 onion, finely minced
    2 TBSP prepared mustard
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp parsley flakes
    1# cooked catfish, boned & flaked
    1/4 to 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs
    oil for deep frying

Mix egg, lemon juice, onion and seasonings in a bowl, then toss with fish. Add enough cornflake crumbs so that fish cakes shape easily. Roll each cake in extra cornflake crumbs to coat outside. Heat oil in medium skillit. Fry cakes until crisp and brown on outside. Drain on paper towels & place on heated platter. Serve with sauteed chopped pepper and scallions or green onions.
    Serves 4-6.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Catfish Steaks Wrapped in Bacon

1/2 cup fresh lime juice
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    2 TBSP olive oil
    1 TBSP chopped jalapeno chile
    2 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp white pepper
    4 boneless catfish steaks, 3/4"-1" thick, 6-8 oz each
    8 slices bacon

Heat grill. Combine lime juice, onion, oil, jalapeno, cilantro, salt & pepper in a shallow bowl. Marinate fish 10 minutes, turning once. Arrange bacon in a single layer between 2 sheets of paper towels and microwave 3 or 4 minutes until translucent. Wrap 2 slices of bacon over top and sides of each steak, securing with toothpicks. Arrange steaks on grill, bacon side down. Grill over medium-low heat 4 to 6 minutes per side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove toothpicks.
    Serves 4