Best Catfish Chum?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by crazychuy, May 16, 2006.

1. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    What is the best to chum for catfish from shore and/or boat? What is the secret recipe?

Thanks,

CHUY

2. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    When Im using shad guts I will toss some of the heads and tails next to my boat. It seems to get them to come in quicker.

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    your fishing partner after he has been skunking you for 5 hours :big_smile: :0a20:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just do a search of the board on 'chum' or 'chumming' and you should find more that you ever wanted to know about recipes and techniques. Just remember, the idea is to put out some smell and a little taste; don't feed 'em, just tantalize 'em.

5. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Thanks for all of the advice and help.

CHUY

6. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I like using Purina GameFish Chow. Just soak in a bucket for about an hour and they'll get the taste and smell, but not enough to feed them.
    Will

7. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I disagree somewhat. We feed then sweet feed on our baited holes as much as 50 lbs every day or two. Man after a couple of weeks they get fat. We catch fish right away, but the longer you feed the more they stack up on a spot!

8. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    One way is to take "bunch" of shad or minnows would work. Put them threw a food processor, blender what ever you just want to make sure its almost like a soup. Get you a plastic container pour in the shad soup and put it in the freezer. Let it get rock hard and when you get to your honey hole take out ur shad popsicle and put it in a mesh bag tie a rope to the bag and just drop the bag into the water. The shad popsicle will start to melt slowly letting out a cloud of shad parts and oils.

9. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    go to the nearest feed store and buy as much milo as u feel necessary. get several 5 gallon buckets and fill them half way up with milo. add 1 or 2 beers (cheap beer so u won't feel bad) to the buckets. next, fill the rest of the bucket up with water and cover all of the buckets with a lid. just put the lid on losely because the milo ferments needs air. put the buckets outside and leave them for 2 to 4 weeks in the heat before use. this stuff stinks so be careful. the longer you let it sit before you use it the better

10. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    i've been trying sour corn but it seems to only draw carp.

11. catface

catface New Member

I use a can of CHEEP cat food. I take it out of the can and put it into a baggie. Freeze it and when I go fishing I slip it out of the bag into the water.
    Nice and clean and very good.
    Cat food for cats.

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    That's a good idea James, I'll have to try that one the next time I visit my little honey hole. :big_smile:
    :0a23:

:0a31:
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

13. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I heard purina fish and shirmp work good

14. BigBoyzBadToyz

BigBoyzBadToyz New Member

State:
    Ky
    Hi.....In the past I used 3cans cheep dog food in the spot I was going to fish..Poke holes in the can 20 or so and throw them in the spot you want to cast ( bushes or logs) let them set for 6-12 hours and your lucky to keep 2 lines in the water.......2 of us caught 200 cats one weekend.....Thay hit anything that hits the water.....In a river put them in a cove and wait 2 to 3 hours....I have only used them lakes, and I'm going to use them in the rivers this year if I get time.....Try it see if it works for you..........John:smile2:

15. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Man! That must have been one heck of a good time!

16. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    :sad2: Hey John,So you never said how you got the CAN'S out of the water ????String-Stick-Net???What Im getting at is let's try to keep our lake's and rivers clean for our kid's and there kid's,We owe it to them.And Welcome to the Brotherhood...,,,...

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I wondered where all those dog food cans ive been catching were coming from:big_smile: 777

18. TastyWhisker

TastyWhisker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't chum, but I do spray a ton of that stink stuff on my bait before I drop it into the water. I can tell you for a fact that it works. I did a test where I fished each pole right next to each other, 1 foot, and they always hit the scented one first. I don't know if it's because that is where the scent drew them when it first hit the water or because it was the most scented when they came by, but it worked!

19. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use purina fish chow and bread. Believe it or not, I have seen catfish go up and suck a whole piece of bread in with one bite! They had to be 15 pounds plus to swallow it so easy.

20. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use the blood that i save from curing chicken livers