best catfish boat under 15K?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by rocco641, Aug 20, 2009.

1. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just wanting some opinions on what would make the best cat boat for under 15K.

thanks

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    what kind of waters are you looking at fishing ??? rivers or lake ???

and what size boat are you looking for 14 foot or 24 foot ???

3. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    shallow med size river and also a pretty big lake. im thinking around a 18 footer?

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    well for the small shallow river a flat or modified V john boat would be the ticket

but for a large lake and windy days when the water is rough a boat with more V like a 12 or 18 degree bottom is what would be nice

so i would split the difference maybe like a 6 to 10 degree bottom boat .

my 22 foot sea ark has only a 3 degree V and is very wide and stable and i love it ive had it in as shallow as 8 inches of water or so ..

but when im on the lake and foot or better waves from wind it rides very rough

ive had 3, 18 foot john boats and allways wished i had just a tad more room . A 18 foot is perfect for 1 guy but if ya plan on taking 2 or 3 people alot i would jump up to a 20 foot boat the difference in price is just a couple hundred dollars or so and the best money ya will spend for 2 more feet .

there are so many boat companies that sell the size of boat you want its hard for me to tell ya which is best ..

if your going to buy new i would try to find the closest dealer on what ever brand because your first couple of years it will need warranty service . so the closer the better .

if your going to look at used man this is the time lots of people selling boats right now ..

dont rush into it is the most important thing look around sit in a bunch of different boats and imagine how you would like to have yours set up --seat placements,, steering console placement ,, live wells ,, rod racks,, rod holders ,, storage ect ect .

the worse thing to do is rush into a boat buy it then see 1 ya wish ya had of gotten ...

id rather have a used boat set up like i want it any day , then a brand new 1 set up wrong and hate it after ya been fishin awhile :wink: