Best catfish bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by whiskman, Jun 23, 2009.

1. whiskman

whiskman New Member

State:
    alabama
    what exactly is the best catfish bait to use?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    What cat(Blue,Flathead or Channel) Where are you fishing? I use live bait(bullheads & Perch) for flats. Shad and perch for blues and dip bait or cut bait for channels

Welcome to the BOC

3. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I agree with Dobber. Knowing what cat you are after kinda determines the bait. Live bait for flats, Bullheads are my favorite but perch are easier to come by. Cut shad and skipjack are my favorites for blues. For channelcats I will use punch bait (Stinkbait), I will kinda pay attention to the time of year. Crawdads, catalpa worms, persimmons and you can't hardly go wrong with a nightcrawler anytime. Good luck and hope you catch em.

4. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Kinda just depends on where and what your fishing for.Shads good for all 3 cut and live gill are good also.

5. whiskman

whiskman New Member

State:
    alabama
    i don't really care, but if i had to choose, it would be bluecat, i know there are out here in front of cowfort, but i was wonderng what would work the best. i've noticed that there are lots of channel cats out here so that is what i'd probably have the best luck with, i'll try what you said thanks. oh and where can i get some perch without going on line, here in north alabama

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have had my best luck on these baits. For channel I like Shad guts. For Blues I like Skipjack heads. For Flatheads I like bluegill or green sunfish. I also carry dipbaits, and garlic shrimp, for times when bait is hard to find our when the fish wants something different.

7. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    down here in Texas i use big marvs cheese bait for channeles,shad for blues, bullheads and sun perch for yellow cats