Best castnet

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by luke1wcu, Dec 25, 2006.

1. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I had asked for a castnet for Christmas and received a $25 gift card for Bass Pro Shops instead.......anyone have any suggestions on a good brand castnet from there or anywhere else?

2. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Well, I started throwing a 6' net from Wal Mart, which was about 20$. I progresses to throwing a Betts Old Salt Net in a 7' model. I lost it and got a 8' and it is a little big and I don't quite have the range I have with the 7', but it will do for now. Buy the best your money can buy. I personally like the Betts nets. Learn how to repair it and know where you are throwing or you'll be getting another one. They can hang up and be gone forever. seeya

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    im with rookie12 on the cast net. betts are good but you will have to add to your gift card to get a good one. they run around 45-50 bucks at bps. hey look around at the wal;mart stores. the nets arent as good but i got lucky and found (3) 7fters on discount for 11.00 ea about this time of year last year. just dont look at the ones around me.:big_smile:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    By 7' you meana 3.5' radius, right. Meaning the net opens to 7'.

I have several 1-4' radius, 2-5' radius and, 1-10' radius they open up to 8, 10 and, 20'. also the nets sold at walmart are not inferior to any other net, they can sell them cheaper is all.
    I hate the nylon nets cause the fishes fins get snagged in them to bad and will tear easier on limbs and other obsticals!!!

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I will echo the, buy the best you can afford, there is a difference. When bait is plentiful and easy to get, you can trow a bed sheet and come out smelling like a rose. Nothing wrong with a walmart net ( keep one in the boat all the time), but when things get tough, I use higher quality nets to up the odds.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    no the ones i got was 7ft radius so they open to 14ft. they was mono nets. i got a great deal on them for sure. they want 22-23 bucks for the 6fters they had. i even asked the clerk to check the price and she said it was on sale. i ask if she had anymore in the back too. i do like the betts nets better than the walmart ones but you need to know the area your casting it in. they hang up just like the walmart ones do. 11.00 was a deal!:big_smile:

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Ya, I would have to say, that was a great buy for sure!!! I love those big nets!!!

8. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    one other question: nylon vs. mono?

9. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Use mono, I have had both types and the nylon has cost me more bait than it has helped me catch, the mono doesn't get torn as easy and it is also easier to get the bait out of.

10. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Go with mono, the ONLY advantage to nylon is that it sinks a little faster....well who cares when it will pick up every type of slime/debris/snag possible!!

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i prefer mono they sink faster and last along time mine is 9 months old about time for a new one iv repaired it four times , this is done by sewing it back together with mono of a similar size and tieing it in . i have actualy went in water over my head to retrieve my net when hung on unseen structure although i wouldnt recomend that if i had gotten caught in the net it would have been pointless :lol: my cast net is 5 foot in diameter it opens to a 10 foot circle it has a 20 foot rope attatched it cost me $27. at dick's sporting goods

12. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Get the mono!!!!!! Nylon will sink faster, but once you throw it one time, that sucker wil absorb water and will wight at least twice what a mono net would weigh. If you're like me, you're going to throw that net a lot more than once to get bait. I personally like mono better anyway. It just seems to handle better. The nylon seems to lay too flat against itself. The mono spreads apart easier too. Oh, and don't buy one bigger than you can throw. The taller you are, the easier it is to throw a big net. later

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I would recommend getting one of the bps cast nets. Learn to throw that then if you decide you need another net get one. I would think 3/8" in like a 1/2lb per foot in 3' - 5' range would be fine for starters. I like to throw a 8 to 10 foot net with 1 inch holes with 1lb per foot but I do go up to a 1 1/2lb per foot of lead at times. What dictates the sink rate is the size of the holes and the amount of weight on the net. Everyone has there own taste in nets though. That and the bait size and waters you catch bait in dictates what you need. You will over time tear the net up most the time you will be able to fix it though. Most seasons I go through 3 nets. Take that at about 45-50$ a pop. I still save money though in bait. Plus it's a nice workout. If your net is stiff when you first get it you can soften it up some by placing it in a bucket of water with fabric softener. Or you can throw it a lot and over time it will soften up.

14. brent

brent New Member

State:
    texas
    i use a mono by southbend and it stays soft and allows to open 100% when thrown right. super spreaders are nice and cost effective:lol:

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Actually, the best castnet is the one that comes back in after you cast it, LOL!!!

16. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I use a Betts 8 ft. Super Pro. (Opens to 16 ft.)