best carp river in ohio

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by katkiller77, Feb 7, 2009.

1. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    we have talked about channels and flatheads whats the best carp river in ohio I vote the great miami chime in rick when i fish for channels with crawlers or liver i catch some of these fellas as well rick

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man Rick, LOL... The GMR seems to be your favorite! :smile2:

I will say the Muskingum has some rediculous big carp! My personal best is 24 pounds. I also witnessed a 28 pounder taken from there.. Not many fish for them, but they are fun to catch on light tackle!:wink: rollo

3. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    I got a 20 pound carp close to west carrolton near the old low dam i thought it was a monster channel catfish it was 34 inches long there jason I wonder why i like the great miami on liver rick it was my biggest fish all year

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Thats a lot of bait LOL, do you cut them up for that?

I dont know about the best but Big Walnut has always had a good population of carp, I remember my Dad catching them all of the time there

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    just a square of chicken liver thats all and threw it back the carp

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Rick, I'm positive the best carp river in Ohio is the Scioto.

You just have to use cut bait instead of wheatie balls. lol

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    little miami and the mad river have some nice sized carp as well

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Rick, I've seen some of the biggest lips come out of the Scioto.

Some of these fish are FREAKS of nature.
    You ever get the chance come on down. I'll bet you have a whale of a time.

9. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    never fished the Scioto, but the GMR and LMR are carp factories, the one spot i fish on the GMR is loaded with some beasts, everybit 20lbers+, and the carp guys are always down there wrangling them...

10. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    thanks rick I dont mind a good sucker fish! Thats why i still have my wife!:smile2:

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's always amazed me how Europeans spend so much money chasing carp when they are a nascence around here. I'll bet I catch one every time I go bait fishing in any river in Ohio and most lakes I've been to. lol I'll put the Kokosing River on the list though. They are a lot of fun on any gear. Fresh crawdad tail meat works best for me.:wink:

12. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    liver works best for me rick

13. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    While the GMR is "loaded" with carp, they generally are the small ones so its no where near the tops of the list. Locally the Lower Mad River has the biggest carp I ever seen. The still water has some nice ones but also a lot of smaller ones.
    Jus like other river systems, the more there are, the smaller they are. LMR has some nice ones and in pretty good numbers. My best came from there, around 16-17 lbs, I took it in high school on New Years day with an ultralite and 4 lb test....hammered a live minnow jigged on the bottom for smallies. I remember the day well since it was so cold,and snowy we started a fire and dam near had a 4 alarm fire going for a while before it burned out... dozens of folks showed up and we acted like we were spectators as well after hiding the fishing gear across the river.:wink:

Salmonid

14. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    IN THE SPRING AT GRAND RAPIDS DAM(MAUMEE) WITH THE WATER AT THE RIGHT LEVEL CARP AVERAGE 15-30LBS. THERE ARE ALSO SOME HUGE BUFFALO THAT COME UP IN THE SPRING FROM ERIE. I HAVE CAUGHT BUFFS OVER 40IN. AND LOST MUCH LARGER FISH. STATE RECORD BUFFALO COME TO THIS DAM EVERY SPRING.

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't really know besides the rivers and lakes I fish. Im sure we all are basing the same on the same here.. LOL.. Pretty difficult to say for sure unless you have seen the fish from that system, or fished it.. All I can say is I make a few fun trips out a year on the Muskingum River, and we always get one or two between 10-15 pounds. I remember a few years ago I went out one day fishing for carp all day in a flooded outside bend that reached a corn field. I caught over 140 pounds of carp myself that day!! I was using canned sweet corn in the warm shallows and they were in there just rolling!!! Not alot of fun to fight in shallows, but fun to just be catching... I actually look forward to some early spring carpin myself on light tackle, and maybe I will even throw a thread and some pic.s out soon as well....rollo

16. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I gotta go with Skip and say the Scioto is the best Carp river round here. I've caught some decent ones but i've SEEN monsters.A Buddy of mine caught once caught a 28 lber out of the Scioto and i saw a guy catch one this past summer below the Dam at Griggs that was close to 4 feet long and had to weigh 35-40 lbs.

17. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Its not a river but I've caught carp out of BUckeye Lake up to 30 lbs

18. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    If you want good size and high quantity, fish the lower dam close to the roll with doughball. I know a great doughball that works great in that spot alone. I normally pull one out every 10-30 minutes (on a slow day) between 10-40 pounds.

Granted, carp over 30 are rare and 25-30 happen every other trip. i normally catch a carp at least 15 pounds every trip. I have yet to pull a carp out of there that was less than 8 pounds, but i've seen the guys using corn pull out 2-5 pound carp all day.

19. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Garrett Likes the carp!!!:smile2: Caught off cut shad!

20. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Gotta admit it's kinda purty ain't it? Just wait till you catch a big lipped carp Skip my friend. I'm gonna take like 15 pics of you with it!:wink: