best caliber for boar

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by C Hill, Mar 4, 2008.

1. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    what do you all think is the best caliber for wild boar? boars being 75 to 200 pounds and shots 25 to 300 yards? i was thinking abou a 44 magnum but i want to be able to take long shots too. i cant spend more than around 500 on the gun. any ideas?

2. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    Just about any mil surplus rifle would fit the bill for ya. Most of them are around .30 cal, cheap, and have lots of ammunition available. They are also really fun to restore and learn about.

3. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Chase
    From experience.....I wouldnt advise the 44 mag for clean one shot stopping power unless you can put it in (or just under) the ear. I used one for years with 240 gr. hollowpoints on deer and have taken several hogs with it. After a bad experience with a large feral sow with piglets in open saw grass with no where to go I changed my mind. It took five rounds to stop her at full charge with four of those rounds hitting on either side of the back bone......finally the fifth round hit her in the head and stopped her at about five yards.... Now I use a 270 with 150 gr. pointed soft points right through the front shoulders. Stops them every time. Savage makes them for around 400 bucks from wal-mart as well as the Remington auto loaders. Not saying the 44 magnum is not a fine weapon........I still enjoy my Ruger five round carbine......I just dont carry it hog hunting anymore.

4. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Well Folks
    A 444 marlin is bad news for hog, bear ,deer and just about anything. Its got the umpf. Use hornady leverevolution shells and you want go wrong.:eek:oooh:

5. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I would use a Rifle if you want to be safe and you can carry a 44 mag or 454 casull too.

I shot this Bad Boy with a 30-06 in the heart and he started to get up!!! Took 2 150 grain 30-06's....

I was alone no dogs just me. I got a freiend to help me get it in the truck at dark and the sow came out with about seven piglets and ran up to me.

We dropped the hog and I went for my SKS by my leg I carry for backup
    but when I dropped it they scattered!!!!!!

My son shot a boar at 75 yards with a 22/250 and it died on the spot!!!!

Better off with the biigest cal you can afford!!!! An SKS is semi auto and can hold ten shots of 30 cal cartridges and they are inexpensive.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii105/robbiegee_bucket/hogg-2.jpg

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Chase, my advice is to go with a rifle that you can use for deer as well. Just nearly any deer caliber rifle will kill hogs as well. It doesn't take a cannon to kill a hog. I've killed hundreds of them, with everything from a .22 (close range, dogs hanging on) to a 7mm Mag. Don't get me wrong here, and go out and buy yourself a .22 lr to hunt pigs with, that's not my intent. I'm just letting you know that you can kill hogs with smaller calibers. I have a good friend who kills lots and lots of hogs on a big ranch, and he quit shooting the big calibers & only takes head shots now on hogs....... with a .223!!! I about passed out when he told me that. He said it drops em like a lead balloon, and doesn't hurt his shoulder nor his wallet as badly. He aims for the ear, and believe me, this fella can hit what he aims at.

My question to you is this: where will you be hunting the hogs? Will you be looking over a feeder, where you can take your time & take careful aim? If so, you might wanna just head shoot the hogs with a .243 or something similar. If you're hunting hogs in a situation where you won't get to pick your shot, you are gonna want a large caliber, something in the .30 caliber range for the knock-down power. For 50 yards or closer, you ABSOLUTELY cannot beat a 12 guage shotgun with a 3-12 inch 00 buck shell for hogs. Jiminy christmas, that 12 guage load will murder a hog under 50 yards. It's also brutal on your shoulder & not cheap to shoot either. The 12 guage shells I shoot for hogs are $1.80 a shot..... but the 7 Mag shells I use are $2.20 per shot. That's why I generally use a few dogs and a $17 swiss bayonet knife.:smile2: I'm feeding those crazy dogs anyway, they might as well earn their keep!!! The knife has been a pretty decent bargain. It's killed about 40 hogs since I got it. That's much cheaper than buying shells.

7. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    thanks for all the replys. ive just about decided on the 7 mag. ive heard they kick like a mule on steroids though, but theyre really powerful. is there any good ones available for $400?

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Chase, I bought my 7 Mag for less than $400. It's a Remington 700ADL, synthetic. If I remember correctly it was $369, but that's totally naked. I still had to buy mounts, rings, and a scope.

You can buy a savage package gun for around $400 I think. No, they're not pretty, but wowee are they accurate.

Chase, the 7 Mag doesn't kick nearly as hard as you'd think. Both my 30-06 and black powder rifle kick considerably harder than my 7 Mag. I shoot 140 gr. bullets through the 7 Mag (either 139 gr. Hornady btsp's, or 140 gr. winchester supreme ballistic silvertips). The part about the 7 Mag that takes some "getting used to" is the noise. Mine 7 is extremely loud. Whatever you decide to shoot, buy it and then take the time to get familiar with it. Go shoot it until you're comfortable with the rifle, before you go out trying to kill anything. If you're afraid of it kicking, believe me you won't shoot as accurately as you're capable of. Get used to the gun first.

I don't think you'll have a problem with a 7 mag. They're not nearly the mule-kickin' rifles that they're made out to be.:roll_eyes:

Edit: whatever brand 7 mag you decide on, take your time picking your optics. You are going to want a scope with good eye-relief for a 7 Mag. That means, your eye is further back from the scope. If you buy a cheapo scope and put it on a 7 Mag, with short eye relief.... you're gonna end up with one of those neat "idiot mark" scars on your eyebrow. Nobody wants that.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The 7 mag is fine, but it's usually a bolt gun. They are slow on a "runnin atcha" pissed off hog! You don't need that much to kill a hog, anything with the energy like a 308, 270, etc. will be more than enough. The main thing that stops angry critters is penetration to the vitals. If the hog is very close, a high speed bullet could hit heavy bone and come apart at high speed. You'll want to pick a heavy constructed bullet.

Since alot of the hunting will be up close and sometimes at a charging critter, then I'd want something that was faster shooting, like a lever gun. My 45/70 makes me very confortable but a 30/30, 35Rem., or other common deer caliber in a lever gun will be just as good. I'd say a Browning BLR in the new 338 Federal would be my dream hog gun, but don't have the funds for that one, LOL. I wouldn't want to use an auto as it takes more time to clear a malfunction than it does for a pissed off hog to get to me. Most of the time when I'm trying to "kick em out of the brush", I use my 870 out of my patrol car full of slugs. Not sexy, but sure gets the job done!

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    10-4 on the shotgun slugs brenneke makes the black magic slug good for anything on this continent :big_smile: :cool2:

11. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    All the guns will work. a 12 gauge with 00 is deadly to 40-50 yds.. If I was buying a gun just for hogs, it would be a lever action 45-70. I have killed a few with a .223, I've just heard great things about the 45-70 on hogs.

Jim

12. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    .444 Marlins are bad news on hogs,bears,deer and moose. Hornady leverevolution shells have added alot to the make up bullets.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I caught hogs and killed hogs off and on for over 40 years.I started catching hogs about your age in the 50's.Never killed or hunted them unless they were destroying crops,killing stock or endangering folk.Caught them to help make money.

The last wild Boar hog I killed was at about 2 feet by shooting it between the eyes with a Ruger 22 mag.Single 6.The hog had done got inside of my shotgun barrels.Reflex action saved me from a bad mauling on a deserted coastal island by my self with the exception of a 13" Beagle and a Springer Spaniel.Great hog dogs.They make them mad and then come running to hide between your legs with the hog on their tail.Brush up to my armpits and could not see my knees.The hogs heaven!Familiarity with the pistol.Thousands of rounds put through it and having shot many domestic hogs to butcher with the 22 rf. saved my life that day.It might have got down and dirty with me,the hog and my 17" bayonette with the 11 3/4 " blade.You do not want this to happen.I do not target Boars as they have a strong taste and I don't like them.

I soon bought the Ruger 44 Super Blackhawk to Hunt Bear with dogs in the mountains of East Tn.Never went!Shot a "Sausage Hog" domestic sow penned up with the Ruger 44 mag.several times after I had already instantly killed her with a .22 lr.Checked it out when butchering.It did not penetrate the head or shoulders as I expected.At 12 feet and under close range a 12 gauge shotgun with slug or buckshot makes a far better hog stopper than center fire rifles and pistols in my belief.

I see you are targeting Boar.That is good.It leaves the Sows to breed.It also leaves you trying to sex your hogs,often in very bad conditions.This often means very close conditions.This ain't good!My son and grandson now have my Winchester Classic Sporter in 7mm Rem.mag.and Ruger M77 MK two SS All Weather in .270 Winchester.Both were scoped and so not much use in close and in a tight.I had the Marlin 336 in 30-30 Winchester and 39A in .22 rf. so I could afford to shoot the .22 and stay familiar with both guns as they are much alike.

The cheap surplus military bolt action rifles are excellent hog guns and are meant to take the beating that goes with hog hunting.You get in a tight you can even club and bayonette the hog with your "Pig Sticker".Believe me,you hunt them long enough,you will get in a bad situation with one.Death is seldom far from a nursing pig and many a PROFESSIONAL hog catcher has been killed over the years.I believe that Bears are safer.The 7 mm Spanish 1893 rifles,short rifles & carbines,303 British Enfields,308 indian Enfields,308 Spanish FR-8,7.7 mm Arisaka 99,7.62 x 54 Finnish and Russian,6.5 x 54 Swedish,30-06 1917 Enfield. (A fine a club as Sgt. York proved it was a rifle)The Chinese SKS are GREAT hog Guns as they are as foolproof as a simi auto can get in my opinion.Cheap too.

have owned,disassembled and fired all that I mentioned.They were made to work in the worse of conditions when your life depended on it.They have proven that they worked.Military surplus rifles have been used around the world by and fed our ancestors for generations.More dangerous animals of the world have been killed by military rifles than all of the rest because that is what they had.You can slosh it around in water or wipe the mud off and fire it when a hunting rifle would have to be disassembled and cleaned before firring.I would trust my life to a military rifle any time it came to hunting dangerous game close,way before I would have chose my custom built rifle in 300 Wby.that cost me thousands of dollars way before you were born.Oh how I miss it though and for precision shots from 100-1000 yards it did perform!It NEVER went hog hunting.

Hogs are dangerous.Hogs kill folks.Please think and be careful.As for me,luck not skill has let me live often.

What you like,best or want is what you will be satisfied with.Nothing else will ever quite do.Luck.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

14. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    When i was a kid in southeast texas we would hunt then with a 22 because it was all we had. You had to make the first shot count. Also I could climb a tree faster than I can now. Now if I go I'll use a shotgun or a 270.
    We only hunted sows. Like pee wee said a boar are strong taisting and if he's been run you can't stay in the house when you cook him.

15. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    well, i keep changin my mind about what im gonna get. but i think ive made my final decision(i think!)lol. im gonna go with a shotgun and my brothers going to let me borrow his glock 27 in .40 for a sidearm. would that make an alrite sidearm? also, would a 20 gauge slug be enough for hogs?

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Smart decision in my belief.Any time you shoot or hurt a hog,you are subject to being attacked by it or worse another.This goes on at the farm as well as the woods.As you hunt,you will find out what works for you and what you want.We are all different.What is perfect for one,can be about useless for another.Domestic strains of hogs gone wild,even mixed with European boar do not have the hundreds of years of fear of man bred into them like most game animals.It is strictly chance with every one.You seldom have the time to think with a emergency with a hog.

Also.Please buy these few things,put them in a zip-lock to carry along and hope you never need them.#1= Buy a small pair of forceps to clamp off a Blood Vein or Arteries.2 are better.The cheap ones at the flea market are fine.#2=Buy you a package of the largest"female sanitary napkins".These with the absorbent side packed into a gaping wound are a very find "battle dressing".#3=1 roll of Surgical tape,and what I like even better with bad cuts is 3 rolls of 3M black plastic electrical tape.Because it stretches this plastic tape can be wound around you or a limb to tightly hold your "Dressing"and keep it tightly in a wound.It can also make a fine tourniquet if you have to sacrifice a limb to save a life.Remember.It is often a long ways time wise to help or a hospital.#4=a cell phone.

Buying the sanitary napkins is embarrassing.If you ain't got the guts to do that,I suggest you don't get in a tight with a hog.By 14 I was usually the one who treated the men & dogs as I had learned from my granddad.I always sewed up the injured dogs and often the men.You will need to preserve life until professional help can take over.Make sure everyone with you knows what you have and how to use it.You may be the victim.Many folks have gone all of their life without carrying a thing along for hog cuts and got away with it for a lifetime.Some have died for lack of it.I have known some of them.This ain't no first aid kit.This is for the massive wounds a untrimmed wild hog tusk can inflict.If you know anyone in the medical field or a vet to talk to.they may have better things now.This is the most for the money that I know of.

I remember a experienced hog farmer who had shot a large wild hog that was tearing up the fence and getting into his corn field.He walked up to the still hog to stick it and bleed it.It came alive and almost killed him.He showed us kids a 1 1/4" piece of broke off tusk the doctors had dug out of the bone in his leg.This man lived with and handled big hogs every day and it happened to him.He also butchered hogs for folks back then.He had killed thousands of hogs without this happening before.He claimed he even poked its eye for movement.this hog had to be unconscious for the eye not to move.it just revived instantly.

Please be careful.A lot of people kill a lot of hogs.A very few hogs kill a very few people.Massive wounds and INFECTION can maim you for life.Every hog cut I ever sewed up was ugly.I never saw a pretty one.I been bit and I been cut.Never even hurt bad.A miracle for me.The same things killed and maimed others.

Safe hunting.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

17. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    What do you all think would be a good round for the .40 for boar? ive been told ill need full metal jacket to get good penetration. is this true?

18. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    165 grain Speer Gold Dot or a good 180 grain hollow point. You want something that will penetrate good yes, but also expend it's energy into the hog. My buddy borrowed my 45 to kill a hog for butcher. He shot it at 10 yards with a Speer 200grain +p hollow point. He shot it behind the ear. The bullet didin't exit, but the hog dropped in it's tracks, and he said there was actually smoke coming from his nose. His big brother got sick and lost his lunch!LOL

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i don't own a .40, but i saw a friend of mine drop a running hog with one. it's all about shot placement, especially with hogs. i have killed them with a 22 lr on up to a .30-06 and OOO bucksot. i even carry a pistol when deer hunting, and would recommend always carrying one where hogs are around. i have killed seral hogs, but have only been legitimately 'charged' once. one time i went up a tree and the other i went into a stock tank. both times the hog went the other way. situations like that will test your nerve, just be steady when and if it happens. also if you're going to be shooting a hog remember their vitals are a little forward of where a deer's would be.

20. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I shoot a .40 quite a bit. I have never killed a hog with one. If you shoot a hog behind the ear, it will go down with a .22. No problem if they are in a snare or trap, however; a large hog shot in the body takes some penetration. If I were going to use a .40, I would want a solid bullet at high velocity. On smaller hogs it won't make much difference. I think a rifle 30-30 or larger or a .44 mag or up in a pistol would be better. If you hunt from a stand, a large boar has a couple of inches of shield on his back, so you need to penetrate when you shoot down on them. My 2 cents worth. I have killed several hundred hogs and there is a big diffence between knocking down a small one and a really big one.

Jim