Best Bottom Rig For Rocks From Bank??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KingCatBrad, Apr 23, 2007.

1. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Ok The spot that I fish on the river is covered with rocks. What would be the best bottom fishing rig and weights to use for this? I'm just loosen too many weights and hooks all because my weight gets hung in the rocks. Thank You For Your Replys Ahead Of Time.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You have a couple of choices. First a 3 way rig with the weight on the bottom tied to the swivel with light line so it breaks first. You can add a small bobber above the hook to add buoyancy and keep the hook out of the rocks.
    Use a Katbobber and float the whole rig above the rocks. Believe it or not predators (and don't ever believe that a catfish is not a predator) will come up for food.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I agree with loanwizard. Use a three way swivel with one going to weight using lighter line and the other to the hook with a bobber on it to keep the bait up off the bottom.

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Haven't tried it yet but somewhere in the Library it explains how to use sacrificial sinkers. Its just a rock held to your line with rubber bands.
    best of luck
    just
    ps
    If I were you I would just be fishin where you caught that big cat in your avatar.

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i think i remember seeing that story about the sacrificial rocks "hot rocks" i think it was called. that being said, you might want to try stockpiling weights before you go to the 3 way rig. that way if the rig works like it should it is no trouble to replace the weight and you dont lose so many hooks. (i always run out of hooks first) i like to collect my weights from old car tires, and then melt em down how i want em. and a torn cast net can be a gold mine of extra weights. does the water level fluctuate at your spot? if so wait till the water is low and do a little "easter egg" style hunt for tackle. you wouldnt believe the stuff i have found.
    hope this helps.

j.d.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    The article your talking about I remember reading about fishing for wels catfish & thats what they were using for sinkers.

7. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    If you're going to end up losing a bunch of lead I'd suggest using alternatives to store bought weights. I've seen people using spark plugs. You could probably get a bunch of free ones from any mechanic. I save old torn up cast nets and cut all the weight out of them. Each one weighs one ounce and you can run a heavy line through 2,3,4,..... of them and then tie it off to a barrell swivel. They also make snagless weights that are shaped like a pencil with an eye in one end. They're flexible lead covered in heavy rubber. I've never tried them but I've seen and bought a couple.

The 3-way break away rig would be the way to go just try to get away from using store bought weights.

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    As stated above,snagless sinkers are easy to make.(snag-less...not snag proof:big_smile: )
    Automotive stores have shrink wrap tubeing for wireing.just add desired weight of lead shot and hit it with a blowdryer,I like to add a barrel swivel and line before I add the shot.

Heck,you can even add sand to straws and hot glue the ends.:roll_eyes:

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Personally I have never had the slightest trouble catching all the rocks I ever wanted with just about anything I threw out there.If it has a hook on it I can catch em.:big_smile: :lol: :roll_eyes: Damned if I didn't catch a world record rock in the Cape fear one day but I took it home and busted it up for gravel before I weighed it.:big_smile: :lol: :eek:oooh:

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Shawn is right on, for fishing in rocks I use a 3 way and a 24 to 36 inch leader with a slip bobber and a 12 to 24 inch drop of 6 to 10# line for the sinker usually I don't cast very far and try to get really close to my target area.

11. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    There is a type of weight called "Bottom bouncer", it is a wire about 10" ling with the weight on the middle (3/4 to 1oz) and at the top a 6" wire sticking to the side with a swibel at the end, they work very nicely in the Illinois river. I will try to find a picture of it.

12. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I like to use 3 way with splark plugs . I have tried the tubing with split shot too and it works but still hangs up for me.. maybe I fish in too many rocks.. :crazy:

13. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
  14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    it dont matter what kind of sinker you use in rocks they all hang up.their right on about the spark plugs.rocks are the only place where i use a high speed real.getting up off bottom with a hard lift of the real and real like heck.works about 50 percent of the time.useing a braid line helps if the zebra mussels aint to bad.

15. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Another "throw away weight" is old nuts and bolts... use those slightly rusty ones from when you took apart x project and put new ones in... even if you just go find a massive container of nuts (for bolts, not the ones between your legs or the ones squirrels like) and use them... they cost alot less then lead weights and work just as well, sometimes better...

w/ the light line tip on the 3 way... not only use lighter line for the weight dropper, but tie 1 overhand knot just above the weight to weaken it a slight bit more so you don't have to retie the whole dropper when it breaks, only to the knot just above the weight...