Best Boat Tatic below Dam?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ronnycl, Jan 5, 2006.

1. ronnycl

ronnycl Member

State:
    NW/MS
    I am going below the dam this weekend in a boat and trying for cats using cutbait.(as I have read as the best choice of bait) My question is should I drift fish the current or should I anchor in some slack water away from the turbines and throw out several poles. I am new to this so any help would be great!

2. rushryder

rushryder New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    If the turbines are generating current, its hard to beat driftfishing. We always motor up as close to the dam that is allowed and get our lines in the water as quick as possible. My biggest fish have been caught right up close to the dam. If the turbines aren't putting out current, good luck. Someone will have to help you with that one. Good luck and tell us how it goes.

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Just remember to wear your lifevests. The waters below a dam can extremely dangerous! Watch out for big boils which can easily capsize a cat boat. You should always exercise extreme caution below and around dams. I have fun but be safe! And just remember,"It's better to be safe than sorry."

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Drifting is generally best for blues and channels, but for flatheads, anchor and let your bait soak for a while.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ronny,
    With what little experience I have of fishing close to dams the only thing I would tell you is that at no time should there be no one in full control of the boat. Do not motor up to the dam, throw you lines out and then just watch your poles. The water can be unbelievably turbulent, unlike anything you can imagine. You need to be paying attention 100% of the time. It would pay you to spend some time just motoring around getting the feel of the water before you even think about fishing and do not get blase about it, as mentioned above, those boils can be vicious. Please don't become a statistic. Good luck...W

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ronny,
    I would also add that your boat should be absolutely ship shape and your motor totally reliable and able to start first time, every time. If it isn't both of those then you should forget about fishing close to the dam...W

7. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    I will have to agree with everyone else above. Make sure you get a good feel for the water before you go throwing anchors out. Make sure you know where they release water for the locks if there is locks because that kind be a bad ride if you're right on top of it.
    Now getting to yur question. I'm not sure where your located and what kind of water temp you're dealing with but if its cold then look for the deep pockets and ledges right now. If these are in the area of the current then that's fine too. I choose to anchor up in the swift current right above holes too. You will have to make sure you have a good enough boat and anchor to do this though. Our flatheat heads right now are holed up for the winter and won't bite very well. So we must target blues right now. If the current is to strong the anchor right of to the side of it where you can throw so rods at the edge and some out of it.
    If you choose to drift you might want a trolling motor to slow your drift down some. Motor right up to the closest point drop the trolling motor down face it towards the dam and find the right speed to keep your boat and line together. Make sure you keep your big motor ready at all times also just in case. Hopes this helps and you can't beat tailrace water to catch cats in you just need to be carefull and respect it at all times.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Making sure your outboard will start quickly is great, just in case it happens to quit, but I never cut my motor while drifting below a dam/powerhouse. The little extra gas used is cheap insurance against bad things happening.

9. ronnycl

ronnycl Member

State:
    NW/MS
    thanks guys for the help. I will take all the advice very seriously.

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Uh,...I would hold onto the poles if I was you,isn't that the whole point of going?? :p :p :p

Good luck and be safe. :D