Best Boat Location for a Fishing Rod holder rack?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by ShilohRed, Jan 8, 2006.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Ok as of now I have a rod holder rack that gos all the way across the back of the boat. Its right behind the bench seat in the 2072 War-Eagle.
    Now you have to reach back to get a rod.
    Was thinking about moving it all the way to the back of the boat. This would make it around 32" above the boat. Where it will clear the motor some. That way I can still tilt the motor up.
    So if it were you, Would you keep it behind the seat. Or move it back where 2 people can set in pestial seats and fish ? May just try it both ways and see what works out best..

I will try to take a few pictures of how it is now. And then where it would be if I moved it tomorrow..

Pete

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I made one and use it on my boat, 2 people can sit on the console seat and fish if necessary. I really like it for fishing moving current when I'm anchored.

Attached Files:

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Try it and see wich one is the most comfortable. Did you ask the boss if you could do that?

4. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Here are a few pics of my set-up, worked out pretty well.

Attached Files:

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks guys
    Buck she will go along with what ever I do with the boat.. LOL
    After fishing out of your boat I think I like it better for anchor fishing.. LOL
    So I may just build a 22 ft center console boat and sit it up like I won't it.
    Also I like the pictures of the last boat. I may throw one together with sq tubbing. That looks stable.

Pete

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You guys are making me envious because all i got is a flat bottom tinnie and a16 ft bass boat.
    But I might just try that rod holder on the back of the bass boat. :)

7. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Shilohred,
    That mount is "ROCK SOLID" to say the least.

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Nice job guys. I need to build me something like that on my project. Thanks for the pics, very hopeful.

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I really like that setup. I've been considering converting mine that way, so I can use the driftmaster type rod holders for more flexibility.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I bet it is. The bad thing is I have the SQ tubing out in the shed. And did not even think if using it like you did. so I will weld up one and try it. Nothing but 4 bolt holes to drill. and if I dont' like it take it back off.
    But I will ppst pictures of mine tomorrow. AS I plan on hitting the water in the morning.
    PEte

11. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    It was a little wobbley from side to side until I braced the corners, made all the difference in the world. :D If you build one I hope you like it as much as I like mine!

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Thanks for the photos, guys. I was thinking of putting something together for the back of my boat (16' Tracker) and you've given me some great ideas. I've got a question, tho: If you're fishing by yourself with 4 rods off of the back and you hook a big one, how to you keep the lines from getting crossed?

13. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    thankx for the pics catmankev. that is awesome and gets my brain and blood flowing about gettin goin for 06!

14. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    this one has a clevis pin release at base that allows the whole assy. to be removed in less that 10 seconds.
    it needed some modifications and is not on the boat at this time but it will be again this spring after i make a couple modifications

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I try to make casts at different distances, and both outside rod holders are angled to keep those lines away from the ones behind the boat. Most of the time, it allows me to bring in a fish without tangles. When I get the fish close to the boat, I can move a rod with one hand and allow the fish to come under that line to the side of the boat for netting.

16. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    thats a nice set up ,do you catch alot of fish out of that? :)

17. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Ron, it depends on who I fish with. Some people just have a dark cloud following them around. :cursing: :D

Here are a few more pics for anyone thats interested.

Attached Files:

18. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Here's one more!

Attached Files:

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I like the other pictures. Did you build it out of Steel or Aluminum tubing?
    I hate to tell this on my self. but I took 4 pictures of mine yesterday while on the water. And got home. The memory card was not in the camera. So try it again this morning.
    Pete

20. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Boat plug, now the memory card, Pete this aint looking good.