Best battery for your money

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by gearhead, Oct 16, 2006.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Just bought a boat with a 25 horse mercery and charged the battery went out sat. not a problem the went sun. had to pull start it every time just clicked, its a everstart / walmart marine battery i dont know how old it is. recharged it ,did the same thing after a little while, fish finder says theres 12 volts, maybe not enough cranking amps? thanks

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Is it a deep cycle or a cranking battery?

3. idolg

idolg New Member

State:
    Colfax, NC
    The battery has probably been sitting for a while. Good advice would be to purchase a new one. Nothing is worse than being stranded in the miidle of a lake or down river with a dead battery. Paddling usually causes frustration and blisters unless you have a canoe. You can purchase a decent battery for less than $50.00. Make sure your cables are clean and tight ... a bad connection will cause the same click. Baking soda and water mixture will neutralize the battery acid. Hose the battery off and make sure the battery cells are filled to the proper level. Good luck fishing!

4. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I have the everstart maxx marine batery from wally world, I have had it for several months now, been out fishing 5 or 6 times, and have never charged it with a trickle charger. The magnita in the motor sends power back to it, I think, but other than that no charging. I crank my motor, run my electronics and troll the boat with it. I do want to get one just for trolling, but havent had the need. Where I fish, my boat rides arent very far. The battery cost me 69.00 I think. also it is for both cranking and trolling, and a deep cycle battery.

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    A bit pricey, but and Optima Marine will be one of the best out there. They have an electrolyte gel instead of liquid so they can be mounted in any position, and they have a good warranty.

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    gearhead, your battery probably needs replacing... you can have it tested at Walmart.

I think Walmart are pretty good... the Walmart start battery on my pontoon played out this summer ... it had lasted 5 years. So I got another just like it.

Bought a new fishing boat... the Interstate starting battery had to be replaced the first month.

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Take the battery to Wally World or an Autozone, they will load test it for you. If all is well with it then check your solenoid/connections.

HTH, Good luck,Elliot

8. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton

Without a doubt the best!!! I have 2 in my toon and 2 in my 5th wheel. They are pricey but when you buy em they outlast 10 of the cheeper ones and you need not worry. I also have battery tenders on both my rigs so I know they are always ready and never over charged. Defenitly an investment in the future!!!!

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    A battery that will last 50 years? :lol:

10. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga

This is what I use also...
    Works great, I just charge them with 10 amp standard chargers since my on baord burned up. About once every six months I trickle charge them, I hear it helps battery life.

11. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    thanks everyone i will get a new one and trickle charge it i was thinking maybe when riding around the alternator would restore it what little the fish finder, nav. and anchor light pulled it down . did i mention this is my first boat so im not very experienced with boats or catfishing BUT IM LEARNING thanks again.

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I use a sears diehard for my trolling motor. I use a trickle charger. My battery works well for me.

13. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    You said it showed 12 volts when you charged it. A good fully charged unit should read at least 13.3 volts with a voltmeter if she is in good shape. Sulpher builds up on the plates over time and they just won't hold a good charge. But this is a good 1st check if you don't have a load tester. It will fool you as even an automatic charger will back down and cut off. But it will cycle ok, just more often....it's actually easier if you lose a cell. Then you know it's bad. Charge the unit up. Drop the charger.
    Go back in 24 hrs if you got 13 plus volts, start looking for ignition problems. If not 13 plus volts you're on your way to Wally World. Hope this makes sense and helps.
    :big_smile:

14. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Another plus for the optima battery is it can take a fast charge to 90% 30-40 amps for an hour and almost fully charged, you have to trickle the last bit. can be charged 100 amps, becarful of heat build up, but that is only limitation. designed that way. to do that many times over.
    Atleast thats what I read and heard before buying 2 for my duramax and 1 for my ski boat. when pontoon battery dies may put them in it. but they are costly and how long they last not proven since they havnt been around for that long (optima). gel cells have been around awhile. but I hate dead batteries.

15. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I have had great luck with the Optima batteries, I found out years ago that 1 Optima would replace 2 batteries in a John Deeere tractor.
    They can set over winter and crank up a large Diesel motor like it was run the day before.
    The last Optima I used lasted a full 7 seasons versus 5 if you were lucky with regular batteries.
    Last time I bought 2 batteries from JD it cost me around $180 the Optima I replaced them with was around $125, these are old prices.
    Mark

16. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    gearhead make sure you buy a starting battery. i had a 25 mercury and dummy me ran a trolling motor battery because i use the trolling motor off the same battery and it will burn the brushes up in the start due to low cranking amps. i thought my battery was bad too but it was the brushes in the starter. anyway thats the good thing about the 25 pull ropes. life savers.

17. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Yea that pull has saved my tail a few times , i tapped the starter ever so lightly with a rubber hammer and it engaged and fired right up and i went to tillery saturday night and it worked fine all night ,so now im just playing the waiting game ,im kind of wanting a new rod and reel more than a starter. thanks and see ya.

18. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    jeremy just for note the brushes in mine was not hard to change. im not mech. and i did the job myself and it worked.:big_smile: im think maybe 20-25 bucks to fix.

19. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  20. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I always buy batteries that are the biggest battery that will fit in whatever I'm using it in. I've found that size means more then what brand it is. Most of my batteries are size 27 with 1000 cranking amps in my boats, trucks and tractors. I have some batteries thats over 8 years old and still starting my equipment and running my trolling motors. There's less strain on the battery if the cold cranking and amp per hour is more then you need. Most factory equipment comes with the minimun size battery they can get by with do to the cost factor is why you have to replace them in the first couple years or so.