best bass rod?

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by kyledbarnes, Oct 23, 2008.

1. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    what do you guys think is the best bass rod for a decent price?

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    need more info. depends on what kind of water you will be fishing. what kind of tactics you will be using. what you are comfortable with. what you can cast more accurately spinning or baitcasting, etc.

lots of very good rods and reels for bass on the market. a good basic start up bass rod at a moderate price would be a 6'6" med. heavyberkley lightning rod with about a 4300 model abu garcia. but like i said, everyone is different. and different circumstances play a huge part of the decision.

3. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey man, thanks for the reply, i'm going to be fishing in freshwater, i like finesse fishing, but i want to be able to skip under docks easily, so it will problably have to be a spinning rod, i also want a good reel to go with it also, have any more questions, just post back

4. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i also like to texas rig a straight finesse worm

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sounds like a graphite rod would work best for you. If you start tossing crankbaits a lot, a glass rod works best for them, because the action is slower. You can actually jerk the crankbait out of the bass's mouth with a graphite rod.

6. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yeah, i was planning on gettin either a graphite or a composite rod, i just want to know what brand rod would i get for the methods i will be fishing.

7. Andrew Y'Barbo

Andrew Y'Barbo New Member

State:
    Texas
    CASAWAY rods. Castaway is #1. They cost from around 70$-300$. The Skeleton in a good rod .It cost 189$ but it is worth it. I had to work the Houston boat show for Casaway this year, and every rod they had was saling like fire. People love them.

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    for bass i use a ugly stick lite 6'6'' and 6 ft. and that works great and u can pick them up for 30-40 bucks, never any problems with an ugly stick:wink:

9. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    If I had to go with ONE rod for bass, it would be a 6 1/2" medium action, 8-17 or 10-20# line, graph, not composite, with the blank exposed thru the reel seat. Lots of those out there. BPS, AllStar, Castaway, and American Rodsmith are good. I've got a couple Fenwick's and Brownings, also. I get what I can on sale. Ugly-Sticks are good for the price, and take a lot of abuse.

I have a bunch of rods, so I don't NEED to buy anymore. But when I'm in a store and find a helluva deal, I'll grab one or two and put them up. I've picked up some SWEET closeouts for $10 at Academy and Wallyworld. Also go to flea markets and pick some that look like crap, but with a little rehab turn into nice sticks.

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    6 or 6.5 rod that is rated for 8-20lb line and 1/4-3/4oz lure weight would be ideal. If you like to fish small finess worms though a 6.5-7ft spinning rod with 8-10lb test line would maybe be better for ya. Hope some of this helps!

11. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    You can pick up a St Croix Premier for $80-$100. Of course they have higher end rods but I don't know your budget. Any of the St Croix rods are excellent. I don't like their Triumph line which is their entry level line, but everything else is great. If you don't care to spend a little extra money the St Croix Avid or Legend series is as good as you can get within reason. They are a little more expensive ($150-$400), but you can feel every little rock, nibble and log.

12. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Berkley Lightning Rod with m6 graphite fiber.... Has great action and is VERY STRONG.. I only use bait casters usually.

Rod only cost about 45-65$

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Buy what you can afford. If you want true quality, look at G.Loomis rods. Great sensitivity.

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
  15. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo

YOU SAID THAT RIGHT:tounge_out: I can feel a fish swim by my lure:eek:oooh: People don't believe that but it's the truth, those rods are that sensetive and stronger that hell, and if ya break one, no matter how, 50 bucks and they send ya a new one:wink:

16. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    last year i went cheap and got a $25 mitchell from walmart. it was a total waste of $. it has only been a year and it is already falling apart. if you have the cash get a decent rod and reel. if not plan on buying a new one every year or two

17. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    berkley lighting 7 foot med heavy.