Best baits

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by strobel19606, Sep 13, 2007.

1. strobel19606

strobel19606 New Member

State:
    exeter, 19606, pa !
    this may be an old, tired question...but i would like to know what everyone is using for bait. flatheads? channels?

what are your thoughts on fake worms? big fake shad? does anyone catch anything on these? or is live bait the best.

mark

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Panfish for flatheads & stink baits for channels. I'm just starting to perfect my flathead skills. As for channels my skills for catching them is already up to par. :wink:

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    live bait is far better and thats what the big boys like.Ive never had very much luck with the fake stuff.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    For the most part,Live bait ,or fresh cut bait for all cats ,channels will take stinkbait but i like fresh cut bait for them. and You can catch cats on artificial baits ,but I wouldnt hold my breath. A few are regularly taken by bass fishermen ,especially channels.

5. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana

I agree with Richard all the way, my biggest and only Flathead was 50lbs, and it was caught on a 6 inch zoom curly tail worm when I was throwing a Carolina rig for some bass! It was definitely a accident that he ate it!! But it was no accident that I landed her! But that's another story.:cool2:

6. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    i've always had the best luck on live or fresh cut bait for any kind of catfish. i have caught a channel cat on a white curly tail jig while fishing for skipjack though.

7. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    me to also use sucker , as for stink baits i just bought some catfish dynamite
    have'nt even got a runn yet with this stuff .

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    bluegill and shad are the baits for flatties. channels want livers, stink bait, old cheese,. pretty much anything that smells.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    My 3 favorite baits in order are fresh or frozen skip jack, fresh caught shad and DK's punch bait. I've caught blues and channels on all three. I don't target flatheads but if i did it would be live perch all the way.

10. strobel19606

strobel19606 New Member

State:
    exeter, 19606, pa !
    the stink baits havent worked for me. im gettin small channels on night crawlers. im gonna step it up to bluegills. i need to think big if i want to catch some (or at least 1) FLATHEADS. ive seen people catch them right next to me. im still learning. thanks everyone!~

mark
    exeter
    pa

11. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    use whats native to the water you are fishing. If the lake or river you are fishing is full of shad then use shad. If it's full of gills the use gills. when using a live bait clip a little of the tail off ( just a snip) so that bait has to struggle a little to swim and draws attintion to it's self.

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I always have one pole with a bream or bluegill. Then on my other I use liver and N-crawler ( 2 hook rig). I pretty much feel them out and what they like that day. But our flatheads here take bluegill pretty much.