Best Baits for Fall Cats

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by vclifford28, Aug 21, 2008.

1. vclifford28

vclifford28 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I know that there are specific baits suited for the big three.But I'm looking for a general purpose bait.A bait with the "ability" to catch all three. Is there such a thing?

2. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Shad and bluegill are the best all around imo. Caught a 14" channel on a 6" bluegill last Saturday. I dont know how. I dont thionk you could have shoved that gill in his mouth if you had wanted to.

3. vclifford28

vclifford28 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the info, I have a new Punch bait I just bought online.It looks real good! It is made by an individual in east Texas. He said I will even catch blues! I don't know the truth in that, but man it looks good,different than all the other punches I've used.

4. Wally_jr

Wally_jr New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I'm gonna have to go with shad and bluegill. Hey I've caught some real big 12 and 13 inch monster channels on 8/0 circle hooks with a 4 or 5 inch blue I am baffled too on how the little devils pull it off.

5. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    I have had good luck with the normal Shad and Gills, but a few times I have caught small to medium flatties, blues and Channels on Berkley Power bait in the Liver Flavor. The balls will stay on plain #6 or #8 trble hooks very well, and i rigged them with a normal slip sinker with a 12" leader. Hope this helps!

Take Care and keep your hook wet!
    Andy:wink:

6. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Go for the gills and shad. I have always thought bigger bait,bigger fish. Went out today and caught a 5 pound blue on the smallest shat I could find. Put him on a 2/0 circle and there he was. He didn't fight like they normally do. Never made the clicker click.

7. drkrobotnik

drkrobotnik New Member

State:
    texas

lol @ "smallest shat"

i went fishing today at brazos river and highway 60..

i was looking for a good fishing spot, all i found was a good mud hole. almost got stuck.

8. muddy waters

muddy waters New Member

State:
    texas
    sorry brother for replying so late havent been on in a while.. swampped with life events! but i have for the last 12 years used a dip bait called sunny's dip bait.... mind you i moved here from KS and it's well known there, but have only been able to find it here in TX at cabela's. Blues and channels to the plenty on it, but only five flattys on it. for a commercial it's great, and it comes in a tub or jar, i find the tub most useful when fishing with more than 2 people.:wink:
    so i usually use some of the sunny's and another line in the water with cut shad.