Best baits for channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by joe shmoe, Jul 15, 2007.

1. joe shmoe

joe shmoe New Member

State:
    sw pa
    what r the best baits for channels

2. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Depends on the time of year and temps....Stink baits work in "hot" weather....All around, cut/live bait works best....Dwight

3. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    spring n summer, i prefer danny kings, fall n winter i use chicken liver.

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Down these parts the dough stink baits really dont work much. I use nightcrawlers, medium size shrimp,pieces of hot dog, pieces of chicken soaked in garlic and salt, corn dipped in anise and few other baits.

5. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i think worms and liver are the best, but its all preferance. channels bite anything that stinks

6. catfishsolich

catfishsolich New Member

State:
    kentucky,metcalfe county
    Chicken liver and night crawlers are good. I also like sonnys dip bait and catfish charlies shad flavor dip bait. I hear alot about danny kings but I havent tried it yet plan to try it soon. Good luck, Chris

7. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    mallows and mealworms, nightcrawlers, shrimp, chicken livers, mackrel, anchovies, shad and your choice of dip baits work good here in so cal

8. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    For the lakes I fish here in Illinois most everyone Ive ever met, or know, fishes with Sonnys stink bait. Works really well but Ive never caught anything over 6# with it.

9. rocko

rocko New Member

State:
    missouri
    get some catalpa worms. they work excellent. the only other thing i use is doughbait i catch 300-400 cat a year april to october.

10. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    crawlers, cut shad, livers and a lot of sonny's dip bait. sonny's is my main producer and what i've caught my biggest channel on at 18 lb.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steven you have recieved a lot of good suggestions on bait. Live and cut bait our the best. However on any lake an any given day the fish will prefer one bait over the other.So take several of the suggestions on each trip.The fish will let you know which they want that day.:big_smile:

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Cut bait works best for me, all the channels I caught over 7 pounds came on bluegill heads or cut creek chubs. I dont use stinkbait or livers any.

13. Zombie76

Zombie76 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I fish several of the smaller lakes around here, and 'crawlers and chicken liver work great most often. However the biggest cat I've gotten came on a cut 'gill.

14. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Nothing beats cut bluegill here in East Texas. Nightcrawlers and live bluegills come in second.

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I like cut shad and shrimp really works well on them here where I fish for them at. Also, I work at a fish house and have access to baits others might never get a chance to get in quantity. One of the best I've ever used for channels was striped bass liver. It's incredible. It just falls off the hook easy though. Caught 5 over 10lbs in about 3 minutes on one rod with all the others baited with fresh cut shad. Caught some small ones as well. If you could get it to stay on the hook it would get bit. If your lake as freshwater mussels those can be absolutely killer as well if they are big enough.

16. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Chicken liver usually works good for me.

17. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    ive tried bluegill heads several times and no bites at all, even dip them in bowkers, hogwild, even drown them in garlic powder, must be the cats in KY i guess

18. CatfishJohn.612

CatfishJohn.612 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use Danny Kings and chicken livers seasoned in garlic and salt.

19. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    I CATCH ALOT OF CHANNELS ON TROTLINE USING SHRIMP HERE IN TEXAS

20. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like usin a big hunk or chicken liver consuming the hook, that or cut up shad