Best baits for big channel catfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by daredevle, Sep 8, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hello brothers i was wondering:confused2: what are some good bait for big channels a pond i fish in them have some over 4 feet long i think there channels they might be another type of catfish i saw a guy caught one today it was a big channel what i use is worms and i get nothing but bluegill and redear sunfish so please respond thanks

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Next time you catch one of those bluegills or redears, cut its head off and put the head on a big ol' hook. Just make sure your gear is up for the challenge. You can make more cutbait out of what's left of the bluegill or redear. Good luck fishin'.

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    They have been slamming the shrimp down here. You can try what bumper suggested. Let us know how it works for you.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    my all time standby bait for channels is chicken livers. if they will hit anything its chicken livers. shrimp works, cutbait works, livers work, stinkbait works, old cheese works. lots of diffrent baits out there.

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have a pond with big cats also ,seen my daughter catch a 8 pounder on a purple worm thrown just before dark next to bank in some cattails. Thought it was a bass hit until we got it near boat.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Live crawdads are good channel bait. Put one of those small bluegills on a hook live, too, if you can get one 3-4 inches long. Good Luck!

Branden

7. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    i agree with the other guys. cut the redears up and bait em up. but some days it won't be what the fish want. theyl hit one thing and not another. there soo many different baits to use. my biggest around here was on a crawler. but for bigger cats i say live chubs and bluegill, redear. good luck:0a23:

8. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Great big old glob of red worms.