best baitcasters

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Jul 20, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im getting a new baitcaster this weekend i want somthing around 100 bucks whats the best baitcaster i can buy for that price, im thinking, a 6500 the big ones dont cast as well, but should it be an abu or shimano or penn, let me know , i need a good drag and smoth casting is a must ,

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Abu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Let us know what you pick and how it works for you

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    abu 6500 c3

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    an abu 6500 or 7000 is a great fresh water choice. i have two 6500's. and 8 other smaller abus.:wink:

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I just bought a 6500CL on the advice of some of the guys here. It makes me want to sell off my other four 6500's, and start replacing them with CL's. Catfish Connection has them for $99.

7. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I can't give and honest answer since I can't cast one.

8. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Well since you have the money, I would go with the abu line of reels. I was just in the market for a good baitcaster and actually held/tested all different kind of reels side by side, and I can tell you that the Abu Garcias definately feel like a better made reel than the others out there. I would check out catfish safari or catfish connection, they have a "blue cat" reel made by abu garcia that is very nice for $89. If I would have had the money it would have definately been sitting in my rod holder right now.:sad2: Any route you go I am sure you will be happy, it wasnt too long ago we didnt have the internet and people were using cane poles and cotton line and having as much fun catching fish as we are.

Bill

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're wanting a good drag system, be prepared to buy aftermarket stuff if you buy the 6500. I was anchored in fairly swift water below a powerhouse and caught a 10# blue; got it to where it was on top of the water about two boatlengths back, and just couldn't pull it any more, even though the drag was tightened down as hard as I could get it. I finally got the fish in by using my thumb for extra drag while lifting the rod tip, then letting go while I dropped the tip and reeled. I will say that the 6500 casts as smooth as a baby's bu!!, but it doesn't hold enough line to make really long casts if you're using anything but light line. If I just had to get an Abu, I'd give the 7000 a try. But I really like the Penn 320 GTi I bought. Casts as smooth as the Abu, holds plenty of line, and you can't beat a Penn for lasting forever. My 6500 is broke down after about 4 or 5 years of use. I've got Penn reels that finally needed minor repair after about 40 years of use. IMO, the 6500 is a great reel for smaller cats, say, 10#-15#. Does that mean you can't catch a big one on it? Certainly not. A woman here in Arkansas caught a 35# cat on a Zebco 303. But that doesn't mean I'd recommend it for a catfishing reel.

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Abu 7000i's are goin' for 99 bucks after rebate but their made in china now days....

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    pflueger contender best reel ever:wink:

12. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Definately an Abu.

In your price range is the trophy catfish 6500 series reel. It is such a smooth reel I highly, highly recommend them. Take care of them!

13. CatKing13

CatKing13 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    As far as im concerned you cant go wrong with an Abu. Buddy of mine just got a 6600 Brute (80 bucks at wal-mart) man is it pretty! Plus it has the power handle for cranking in those big cats. Had to go out and teach him to cast it (pretty expensive learning reel) and it was smooth, casted a mile and did i mention its pretty?? haha but i have some 6500 C3's and even 2 6500Cs my dad bought.....eons ago and gave me and they still hold up to the big ones. Great reels!

14. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Abu Garcia 6500 - 7000!!!

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'll tell you what also... I have a couple 5000 and a couple 5500 back-ups... no clickers- but I have flawlessly hauled in some seriously BIG flatties with 'em. I don't weigh my fish... but I don't call anything I believe weighs under 30 lbs big either. They are good reels for thin braided and circles.

16. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    IF it was me .......i'd save my nickle's and dime's up for THE BEST .... abu's have there place .....But they cannot compare to the Shimano baitcaster's imo~~

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    most of the rough-neck areas in a small river I fish... cramped in a smaller boat to get there in... rods and reels sometimes get stepped on, eyes get smashed,, crank handles bent,, etc. I learned my lesson on that stuff, I don't take to a 500 dollar rig in those places... bigger boats, smoother territory.... different rigs to show off to the jones.

18. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    they dont cost 500 hundred buck's lol but they cast and feel like they do !!!!!!! I take it you never owned one right?

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOL I was exaggerating for emphasis... not me but my dad LOVES his.... he's a striper, LM bass and walleye guy to the core.

20. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I personally own Abus, Penns, Diawas and Shimanos and despite my BOC name I like the Abu 6000's the best. I dont hear very well and like to take naps while catfishing and of all my reels the bait clickers on the 6000's are the loudest quite a bit louder than the 6500's. I love em!