best baitcaster to learn on

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bw69r, Jul 8, 2008.

1. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    what would you folks recommend reel wise for someone just learning to use a baitcaster for flatheads?

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Brian - I just started using baitcasters this year after 40 years of spinning reels. I bought Abu Garcia reels and really like them and didn't have much problem learning to use them. My favorite is the 6500CS Chrome Rocket, one sweet reel! :cool2:

3. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    I learned on Bass Pros Cat Max reels. That was several years ago and I still use them today. I have 4 of them. You can get them on sale for 50 bucks. I have caught cats up to 45 lbs and a 55 lb spoonbill with no trouble. I use 30 lb mono on mine. Another good thing is if ya need parts for your reels Bass Pro will replace them for free. At least they did mine. I took them in to get cleaned and when I picked them up they said they replaced the parts for me that was broke. I didn't even know I had broken parts. LOL This is just my .02. :0a26:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am going to go with my old stand by...............Shakespere Tidewater........Why?? because it only cost 35 dollars and its very easy to use. If you don't like the baitcast reels, you are not out much. I have 8 of them, that should tell you how much I like them

5. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    I would have to say a abu 6500 c3($80), it would handle most all flats and has got to be one of the easiest to use , I would stay away from most of the penn's until ya get the hang of them, the penns are good reals just a little hard to cast for the most part, as for the penns go I would go with a 209 or 309(less then$45)or a jig master 500($50 or less) if ya can handle not having a level wind, I like the penn cuz you don't have to worry about them getting knock in to gear with the slightest movement of the handle like the abu's ,you have to throw the lever on a penn to engage the gears comes in handy if ya don't have your rod in a pole holder

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A Abu 6000 or 6500C3 would work.

7. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    and would have to say, start with the one you are going to use. If you are really determined to use one, then get a good one. If not, then go cheaper. On the recommendation of brother bassmassey, I went with the Abu Garcia 6500c3 and found it to be a very good reel and very forgiving. Find someone you know that has used them, and have a soda or beer over at the local field or pond, and practice, practice, practice. Then load it up with leader, hook, weight, and bait and throw into the water and practice, practice, practice. One other piece of advice from another newbie, load it with at least 30# mono for practice, it is a lot easier to pick out the nest with a bigger line. Good luck and I know that you will love them. I am a convert from spinning rigs.:wink:

8. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Get yourself an abu 6500 you can learn with it and use it. It will hold up to about anything out there

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    get an abu. if ya like it your kids will be using it when your gone.

if ya dont. ill give ya $10 less than ya paid for it. (because its used of course):smile2:

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    The only reason for me to go to the castin reel would be the low gear availability to wench them thar Flats in. As for the clicker....why one would allow a cat to drop the bait and HOPE that it will come back......

Heck Fire they r so antiquated they still have the handle on the wrong side....no dought from back when they were not meant tobe casted, he hee

OPINION
    :tounge_out:

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I learned on a Penn Jigmaster myself. When ya start learning dont go for the distance cast, just 10-20 yards at first, soon enough youll be able to sail a bait. Hope this helps.

13. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The easiest baitcaster I've ever used is the ABU 6000. I highly recommend them to anyone wanting to learn baitcasters.

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I started out with a Penn 209, big mistake. I was frustrated to the point that I gave it away. Learn on a smaller and easy casting reel like an Abu 6000, once you get good with it you will find that you can cast even the bigger reels with few problems.

15. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have to agree 100% with Ronnie. I went through many baitcasters when I was new to them and finally landed on the Abu 6500c3. Very forgiving for sure and I personally have been using them for many years now. A lot of quality for the $$ spent and able to handle most any cat where I fish if I do my job. Don't think you can go wrong with the 6500c3. If new is out of your budget then look for a used one. They are lifetime reels if you take care of them!! Good luck to ya and hope you find the reel that works for you.

16. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Steve, I think your stirring something here and it sure ain't soup!! :big_smile:

17. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    6500 Abu, if you are just learning how to throw it load it with 30 lb test (less backlashes that way).

18. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I started with the cheapest piece of crap I could find. ONce i got to where i could throw a baistcaster with few to no ball bearings in it, i stepped up and bought a abu 4600 c4 winch with 3.8 to 1 gears and havnt looked back. I figured out that if you can throw a cheapy decently the more expensive reels no matter the brand a person can cast probally further than needed. Now i have five abus and a penn, the penn see little to no action usually just getting it out to clean it and make sure it still works

19. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    I would have to say an abu 6500 they are everywhere parts are fairly reasonable,

20. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    My first casting reel was an Abu 6500c3. They are, like others said, very forgiving. I learned how to cast it a lot quicker than I thought I would. It might be intimidating, since they can tangle up if you don't do it right. Use your thumb, figure out how to untangle a bird's nest, and it's no big deal. Heavy line helps. I use 65# power pro on mine, but would be okay with 50 to 80 pound braid or 20-30 pound mono.

I love my Abu. Get one. You won't be sorry.