best bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by slowjamcdub, Oct 29, 2008.

1. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    :roll_eyes: Hey!!! what is the best bait to use for all cats??!?!?!?!?:tounge_out:

2. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Well that's a pretty broad question. If you have access to catching some kind of bait fish that's probably the all around best. Like bream, shad, herring, crappie and stuff like that. Catfish will also eat other catfish cut up into cut bait. Just cut them into chunks. Or use the heads or pieces of fillets. Fresh heads of any kind are the very best in my oppinion. As long as it's fresh it will work well. If you freeze them they still work but not as well. If your fishing somewhere with flatheads you will probably need to use the bait fish alive.

Night crawlers will catch tons of catfish but most of them will be smaller fish.

Dip baits and stink baits will catch some fish. But they've not caught enough fish for me to make it worth while to deal with.

Shrimp is a good standby bait. I buy it fresh non peeled and not devained. And I peel it before I put it on the hook. But that's my oppinion. It will vary depending on who you talk too. Raw shrimp can be bought at any grocery store. It's good when you don't have time to get anything else.

Hope this helps.:wink:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Always carry several bits when you go fishing. Fresh bait like skipjack. Prepared dip baits like Sonnys, Catfish Charlie or Secret 7. I also like shrimp soaked in garlic. You never know what the fish will prefer on that day.

4. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i have to agree take several kinds of bait just never can tell what they may like that day

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Live wiggly bait is the best overall, imo; but nightcrawlers, stinkbait ,and chicken livers will give you a pretty good variety.

And welcome to the BOC.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Mickey I've tried shrimp on limblines early, early in the season (because the bluegills aren't biting good yet) and have had no luck with them.

Is soaking them in garlic the secret? How do you do it?

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    liver, bluegills chubs and nightcrawlers for me rick

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Fresh shad,whole and cut. Then Bluegills. Then worms,liver,and all the other stuff.

9. sbirnel

sbirnel New Member

State:
    TX
    If you want a pretty sure thing, I highly recommend punch bait like big marv's (my fave) or surshot...if you dont catch some cats (punch bait will catch channels and blues) your fishing in the wrong spot.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Here is an example of what I am taking to the water in the morning......
    Fresh Chicken liver
    clams
    Shad (frozen)
    Danny Kings punch (orig)
    Night crawlers
    Anchovies

11. Shad gut

Shad gut New Member

State:
    illinois
    The time of year make a big difference in bait choices.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Larry I just found your post. I put shrimp in a zip lock bag and cover with garlic. Powder or liquid will work. I let it soak in the refrigerator for a couple of days, turning at least once per day, and then go fishing. I seem to do better if I have the shell torn off, before soaking.