best bait

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by youngbuck, Feb 15, 2008.

1. youngbuck

youngbuck New Member

State:
    Kansas
    so what really is the best bait for bluecat in kansas using circle hooks at a lake

2. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Kaleb,
    Welcome to the BOC.Id say you should catch some flats if use use live bluegills or shad. Can also use cut shad and skipjack too. Just try these and see what works best for you. rspd507

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The blues are looking for cut skipjack and shad.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Kaleb, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sureto check out the library, a lot of good inf in there. I agree with the previous posts. Our go to bait is Skip Jack fresh or frozen and then fresh caught shad. You may have mooneye in your area if so that will be your best bait. Fish whatever is natural to the waters you fish.

5. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Your region of the country may be different, but in my recent trip to the James River in Virginia, we used fresh cut shad that worked very well for us. The frozen shad didn't seem to be as effective. Remember though, big bait will catch big fish, because with blue cats the smaller ones don't seem to mess with larger bait. My role of thumb was to use a piece about the size of my fist, but no smaller. If you're fishing for numbers, you could downsize your bait, because I'm sure the big ones still wouldn't pass it up.

6. shadsides

shadsides New Member

State:
    kansas
    i'm in ks to shad is great also sod worms, shrimp and hellgrimites