Best Bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Game_Of_Inches, May 15, 2007.

1. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey guys just wondering what is your favorite bait for catching those wiley whisker fish. I have a lot of success with bullheads, green sunfish, and chubs. Any secret weapons out there that I don't know about?

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome home Jared, Shad to name the most obvious, but remember them old fish will bite just about anything one time or another. lol:lol:

3. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I just recently started using eels and those are quickly becoming one of my favorite bait.

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Jared! For Flathead any live bait that is common to the water you are fishing.

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Scott! I was wondering are you stationed at Camp Lejeune? My father was retired USMC and my brothers and I were all born there. Stay safe and thanks for you and your families sacrifice.

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think all the above mentioned baits are good for about all types of catfish and I want to welcome the new members. Welcome!!!!!

7. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Scott what kind of eels have you had success with? and where do you get them at?

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you just mentioned all the baits i like. i think you should try bowfin or gar. i have heard they both aggravate shovelhead to the point they want to fight, and eventually kill their prey. let me know how it goes. lol:cool2:

9. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I get the eels from a baitshop near the house, there is also a eel farm close to me. I never saw eels in baitshops until I got to NC so I dont know how easy they would be to get where your from. I believe they are native to most rivers but I think they only spawn in salt water, I could be wrong though. I like them a lot though because they stay alive a long time while on a hook.

10. Kinch's_cats

Kinch's_cats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have read in magazines about how good frogs work and the number of different state records that were caught with frogs. Has anyone tried this and had any luck. I think I have tried them a couple of times but it seems I never get any bites and when I reel in theres no frog!

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have tried frogs a couple of times but have had no luck with them.

12. Kinch's_cats

Kinch's_cats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I guess we were just meant to use the bait without the legs Beetle. Thanks!

13. jason haddon

jason haddon New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I am kind of new to catfishing. In the 2 years since i have been at it though, bluegill has to be my favorite. I would like to try shad since i normally fish the ohio river near the new cumberland dam in west virginia, i just don't have a cast net for catching them.

14. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    I'd have to go with goldfish as my #1 followed by bluegill/sunfish. Later in the year, when we're getting near the fall, fresh-cut shad can't be beat.

15. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey welcome to the Boc buddy.I've tried this technique ounce and it did alright for me.But I cut a little slip of blue gill from the tail and raped it on my hook like you would a worm I don't know mise as well give it a try.Catfish love blood. LOL Good luck man

16. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    For eating sized fish I dont think you can beat a good stink bait. Sonnys works very well for me but youre not gonna catch any really big channels with it. If youre stocking up for a fish fry though, its always been good for me. Good luck!

17. Brian Wheeler

Brian Wheeler New Member

State:
    ohio
    my favs are gills,carp,suckers and oh yea can you say the "b"word on here.lol

18. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    probally my all time favorite would be a big slab bluegill,, biggest ones you can get!

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    one of my best baits is salamanders.or as we call them waterdogs.there are 2 kinds the ones with gills and the ones without.the bigger the better.