Best bait

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by JMarrs328, Jun 30, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Lately, in the Susquehanna river, and in one of it's tribuataries, i've been having non-stop walleye/sauger action, with the occasional smallie/rock bass in the mix. I seem to have found the perfect bait, and it is so simple. All i do is put a minnow on a jig head... I know this isn't new news to most of you, but i had never really used minnows that much in the past. I have been either getting bit, or catching a fish on virtually every cast... it is amazing.

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    how heavy are the jig heads...... are they painted or not.....

i would like to hook into a few walleyes and ill definately try that out

Thanks

Jeff

3. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Hey guys lately i've been doing the same thing that josh has been doing for the walleyes and sauger. I go down to the local bait shop and pick up 2 dozen shiners and a dozen crawlers. It depends on what time of day youre fishing but i use just regular plain lead heads and a shiner and the depth of the water depends on the size of the lead head. I use a 1/8 ounce to a 1/4 ounce during the day. At night i throw on a chartruese jig head to add more color to the presentation. Good luck guys. The waters heating up so crawlers might be the bait of the summer. Go for the big one.

4. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    how do you retrieve the jig? or do you just fish it without movement, thanks.

also, how big of a shiner, I guessing medium.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

bounce it off the bottom and are slow retrieve.

6. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ok, thanks for the help.