best bait

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by fishfun, Sep 17, 2009.

1. fishfun

fishfun New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I am sure that you all have discussed this over and over again, but I am still trying figure a few things out. My question is what baits works best for flatheads. I know that they love sunnies, the problem is that with school I do not have a lot of time to get bait fish, so I was wondering if waterdog, shrimp, liver work well. If you all know of anything else please let me know. Also with waterdogs, I have been placing the hook through the mouth and it seems that when I get a bite it pulls the waterdog off, any other good spots to hook them. You all think that I am wasting my time, and should stick with sunnies, or is there a good alternative??

Thanks for all the great advice and the great stories thus far. Joining the BOC has been a great fishing tool, hopefully I will have a chance to meet some of you out fishing.

2. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Bluegills and carp are by far the best baits but my personal best actually came on a waterdog. This was back when you could buy the waterdogs up around 12 to 15 inches long though, since the dogs have shrunk I haven't had as much luck on them. If you do get waterdogs for bait put the hook just behind the rear legs being careful not to hit the spine. If you happen across the big dogs hook them the same way but let me know where you found them!!!!:wink: Use size 5/0 to 8/0 hooks when you fish them and have your drag set very loose. Let them run for awhile and get it completely in their mouth before you set the hook otherwise they will pull off. Hope that helps.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the family Paul. Enjoy and hope you find the best information on the web all right here.:wink:

4. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    What would you recommend for 2nd best bait after live fish. I was thinking about squid since my neighborhood Fry's almost always has it. My problem is getting somewhere before it gets dark.

5. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    ive never had any luck wit dogs maybe its cause what ragin said to small. try night crawlers they work 2.put a big treble and as many worms as u can on that mug. if ur not familiar wit carp put corn on the line and let it sit. our lakes are so full of them u can catch them easy. 4 gills i buy the berkley power bait from walmart, its 4bucks and its last a couple months. get the pink 1 thats all stringy. it looks like a bunch of big pink rubber bands.they also have brown and green, but the pink is the best. hope this helps. what lake u fish?

6. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i have caught flats with dogs but i have caught more big channels with dogs then flats. but i agree with monster that if u dont have time to catch any bait worms is your best bet. but usally there is gills were u fish u just have 2 find them or carp . and what is up with all the little dogs. i know who has big dogs if anybody does is the tiki hut out at the upper end of rosie. i have went to bucher hook and thay got guppys and i will go down to the tiki hut and thay have monster dogs. u know alot of those guy that fish the upper end of the salt use dogs with just little split shot really not any weight and just let them swim around

7. JNHoffman57

JNHoffman57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    What's the biggest you guys would use as far as carp for bait??

8. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    well that 62lb flat up at the salt had a 17in channel in his belly he threw it up. and that guy relesed that flat to

9. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    ive never used carp but heard 2 get 1's that r bout 10-14in long. rite. next time i go im gonna throw a pole wit corn 2 c if i get any. the fishermans choice on 35 tbird has dogs but they r small and every now and again the have big 1s but their like 5 bucks a piece.i heard if u get a big carp just cut fillets off and use it 4 bait and flats love it. correct me if i wrong cause i heard that and would like 2 know myself. to me those little rock bass r the best bait 4 flats. i catch those with that pink stuff.

10. jasonhumble7

jasonhumble7 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Im fairly new to this but we have never had luck with really anything but blue gills. I would stic to them.

11. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    live gills & cut gills work best for me! i do like to bring home channels for dinner so i always bring a bag of fresh shrimp with me. works great.

12. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    do you have an spare time during the day to catch gills? if so you can either try to keep them alive at home or if they die freeze them and use them for cut bait.(from the same body of water of course) Cut them in half & hook em through the eyes. i use a 8/0 gamu circle.

13. fishfun

fishfun New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The place that I went to get dogs was called Liar's Korner Fishing Bait. They had 12 dogs for 15.00 ranging from 8-12in. Thanks for all the advice

14. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    Worms if you don't catch a flat you'll catch bait :wink:

15. flathead-40

flathead-40 New Member

State:
    arizona
    / Fishermans choice 35 ave and thunderbird had some about 12 inches

16. JNHoffman57

JNHoffman57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    That's a hell of a deal, especially if they are in between 8-12 inches... Last few times I've been to fishermans choice they've only had the little ones.

17. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    WOW, times have changed!!! We used to get a dozen of the 15 inchers at kilmers for $6.00.

18. fishfun

fishfun New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The good thing about waterdogs is that they liver forever without an air supply. I had 12 in a 1.5gal container for over 12 hours, but they are hard to come by in good size.

19. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    The one and only time i ever caught a flat with out live bait was with ready rotton hotdogs. Left by accident in the back of the truck...Dont suggest it unless ya have a strong tummy

20. JNHoffman57

JNHoffman57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I wish I lived closer to Mesa so I could go to that place you were talking about... I called around to the places in my end of town and the biggest ones anyone had were about 4"... Which isn't gonna cut it.