best bait

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by stoney53, Jun 20, 2009.

what is best bait

1. eels

2. bream

3. crawfish

4. shad

5. worms

6. goldfish

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    out the bait listed and i could use just one, i voted worms ,hard choice though

2. minilmracer

minilmracer New Member

State:
    tennessee
    shad is pretty good if u can keep them alive long enough

3. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    it all depends on what type of cat your targeting. flatheads i say bream, blues and channels eels. i voted for both

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I also voted for eels and bream, I have caught my biggest cats on big eels and big bream. What a lot of people dont understand is that even a ten pound flat can eat the biggest bream so dont be afraid to put a slab on the hook, also dont be afraid to put an 18" eel on either.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'd have to say in the river it's eel and shad, seem to catch more blues on eel and flatheads on the shad. Never done any good on the river with bream, but in the lake bream cut or dead outperforms everything else.

6. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I use mostly shad but my biggest fish have been caught on bream.I would like to try eel but don't know where to get them.The only eels I have ever caught have been from slat water.

7. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I use mostly shad but my biggest fish have been caught on bream.I would like to try eel but don't know where to get them.The only eels I have ever caught have been from salt water.

8. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    bream, hands down.

9. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    live bream by far for the flatheads, and large bream heads for the blues

10. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Bream has been the ticket for me so far.I have just started trying eels and was impressed by how good and quick they worked the first time or two I also.I use the bream live and the eels I cut into pieces.

11. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    you really can't beat cut eel for channels

speaking of eel, anyone know where I can buy fresh frozen eel from???

I do well catching my own on rod and reel, but for planning a big trip I'd like to have a good amount...

12. Guido

Guido New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Shad works great but i do catch alot of nice fish with crawdads

13. crappie59t

crappie59t New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Bream work awsome but for us our best bait for the river has been big Horny Heads(creek chubs) hard to find though but we call them magic bait

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Hard to beat some fresh cut shad. :cool2:

15. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    I like to use eels and bream.....off a half eel one night i caught 7 blues....now any single piece of bait that can handle catching 7 cats by itself is great in my book! isnt it funny how u can have 6 rods out and only one or two poles catch all the fish?

16. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Active Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Jamie
    I like to use shad for blues and live bream for flatties. But have caught both fish on both kind of baits.

17. spawnallica

spawnallica New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've caught fish on all the bait listed. They all work well, but I guess if I have to choose one I would go with bream.

18. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I am going to have to say, goldfish or bream. It all depends on where you fish and what time you fish at. At night the goldfish shine a little bit more than any other and that attracts more fish from what I have found out, but if you cut a little of the breams back it relaeases more oils into the water and that as well attracts fish. So it is all in what you can get and where you are going to be fishing at.

19. mhawk134

mhawk134 New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey guys where can gold fish be bought at and are they legal to fish with in NC and SC? Just wanting to try different things. Guessing it's the same kind that I can get at petsmart.

Hawk

20. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    A lot of bait shops carry them. and they are legal as long as you don't release them alive into the water you are fishing. I don't think they are the same as the ones at petsmart. They are quite a bit larger and if you bought them that large at petsmart it would be like a 15 dollar coy or callico.