best bait ROUND TWO

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bedbug jr, Jun 23, 2009.

BEST BAIT

1. EELS

2. CRAWFISH

3. GOLDFISH

4. BLUEGILLS

5. BOWFIN

6. SHAD

7. BULLHEAD

8. HOTDOGS

9. STINK BAIT OR DIP

10. CHICKEN

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I primarily target flatties on the section of the Big Muddy that I fish and have found gills, goldfish, and creek chubs to be very effective baits.

2. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    This is kind of tough to answer because it depends on the type of catfish I am trying to catch. As a general rule of thumb I prefer what ever bait is local to the waters I am fishing.

These are my general baits of choice:
    Blues - Cut baits of :Bluegills, herring or mullet
    Channels - liver, worms or stink baits
    Flatheads - Live baits of : Bluegills, herring or shad

3. richard84

richard84 New Member

State:
    ky
    hard to beat them big ole lively bluegills for flatheads...i like a good sized chunk of skipjack for blues...for the channels i like to use shrimp but i aint much of a channel man so my opinion on them bait stealin channels aint worth a whole lot...dang i wish i was fishin right now...keep on castin folks:wink:

4. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Why is "shrimp" never on these list.... :)

I catch the majority of my cats on Garlic and Vanilla Shrimp.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Several items of choice was left out of the pole. A target fish was not mentioned. In general for Flatheads I like blue gill. For blues I would chose skipjack heads and for channel I like shad,garlic shrimp, and some dipbaits.

6. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Depends on what kinda Cats I'm going after...

I love Bluegill for both Blues and Flattys. Cut shad, the fresh, real smelly stuff is also great for blues. I also like using Bullheads and big creek chubs for Flattys. My vote was Bluegill b/c I use them the most and have caught Blues and Flattys on them.

7. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What???No skipjack..I can't vote on this poll without skipjack..I say skipjack is the best all around bait for all three species..

8. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    No 1 bait I would say is live or dead shad and shad guts. Live shad for flats and blues. Cut shad for blues and shad guts for channels. That being said I also luv to use sunfish live, mooneye live or cut, creek minners, worms, chubs, ect the list goes on and on. But the best bait for all around would be a live shad 6 inchs long. I find most baits have a season or time when they work best like worms when the bottom floods and mooneye during the mayfly hatches or gills around creek mouths. Man this a tough poll to nail down lol.

9. DC43

DC43 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like chicken livers for flatties when its not spawning season and they go back out deeper, but I mostly fish for channel catfish and I put 2-3 big crawlers on a hook and tha that works pretty good. Why were worms not on the list?:confused2::big_smile:

10. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I think live and fresh works the best. For eaters, the sticker the better.

11. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Some might disagree but im going to go out on a limb and say that I think you can't beat an eel . All of my big fish have come off of eels Blues and flats . I'm talking about 40 pound plus fish . I like to catch a blue gill or white perch for bait right there where im going to fish , but I say you can't beat a 16-18 '' eel on the river . I take the biggest eels {within reason} that I can find , cut them in half ,then throw out the head on one hook and the tale on another . :wink:

12. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    "Chicken".........Like in Fried Chicken?? I know its "Finger Licking Good" but cant say I've caught a cat using a fried breast on a 8/0 circle hook. Do you think the cats would prefer extra crispy over the original. HA!

13. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i fish for bg ole flattie so need a good lively fast blue gill

14. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For flatheads it has to be a fresh bluegill head that has just been removed from its body!

15. muddyriverdogz

muddyriverdogz New Member

State:
    Illinios
    For flatheads, as long as its alive when Mr. Flaty comes along hell be trying to put it in his belly. GET IN MY BELLY!!

Bluegills-bullheads--crayfish ect.When Flaty comes along he ant going to pass it up no matter....

I like bullheads just because they stay livelyer longer under current conditions with a hook stuch in there back.

16. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i'm gonna go with what's got me the biggest fish and that'll be shad. bluegill have also been excellent bait though so it's tough to say.

17. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    That is a tricky question. It depends on the type of catfish you are targeting. I really dont think there is a best bait. Ive seen here that guys mainly like to use shad or skipjacks for the blues. The guys going for flatheads seem to use live gills mainly. What I have learned that all 3 species of catfish will hit all of these baits dead or alive. I have caught all of the species on bluegills, chub minnows and shad. I havent used the skip jacks only because they are not native bait in the water I fish. The fish can be caught with all of these either live, dead-whole or as cut bait. Soft craws can be really good but I never use them due to being expensive to buy and hard to find in creeks. They also will catch everything else that you are not targeting. The biggest (15lb) blue, channel (20lb) and flathead (40lb) were all caught on dead bait. There have been may times when one bait would out fish another either being dead, alive, whole, cut or the section of the cut bait you use. Personally I try to use the natural bait that is in the water that you are fishing. For me I generally use the shad, Blue gills and creek chubs on every outing if I can get them.

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Great post Alllen. Reps to ya:wink:

19. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    different types of catfish like different types of bait, I went with Dip/stink bait because i mostly go for channels, nightcrawlers are a top choice also along with anchovies

20. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Excellent poll. My #1 choice (Green Sunfish) wasn't up there, so I went with my second choice (bullhead). I'm only talking about best "live bait". Why do I like the Green Sunfish so much for my area of Kansas City? The Green Sunfish is the most common fish in Kansas or Missouri. I can't prove it, but I believe their slimmer profile (vs. a bluegill) makes them 'slightly' more likely to be eaten by some of the smaller cats. I may be the only one that likes "greenies", but they do stay alive pretty well also.

Again, great poll. I like a poll that has lots of choices. It helps me see a trend or pattern for what works nationwide. Maybe the BOC could put the results of some of these polls in the Library. A year from now I may want to refresh my memory on what the top five choices were for various polls.

Thanks,

Ralph