Best bait/jig for gills??

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by ravenloft420, Apr 24, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    just wondering what the best thing to use this time of year would be. I know during the summer they will chase anything but I havent had any luck for them yet this season.

2. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fish for brim the same way I did as a kid red worm.Alot of people I know fish with small crank baits

3. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    This time of year tiny offerings , like a hair jig under a small float or maybe even a small casting bubble . If needed add a small peice of bait or a personal favorite are the power bait wax worms experiment withn colors but keep it tiny . and remember these fish feed on micro organisms a lot so flourocarbon or any "clear" line cant hurt . I like flourocarbon pro by seagaur you can go too 6lb. test and still be safe if needed .

4. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    crickets, red worms, jumpers,big reds, wax worms, meal worms, small fly jig (the ones for trout),and wasp larva, can you tell i do a lot of brim (bluegill)fishing LOL

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    You guys use a #8 bait hook? What size hook would you go for with the Power Bait Wax Worms & float rig? just curious?

6. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    For me, in southwest Georgia, in the Flint river, creeks, ponds, or Lakes, crickets for any size from 3/4 " to 12 ". Red Wigglers/Pond worms in deeper (10-30 ') water rigged Drop Shot. When you want big ones, a whole lot less fish, but a lot bigger, Beatle Spins, or small Roadrunners with plastic thingys as trailers.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I totally agree with this post. At least one of the above will work on any given day. Some days all will work. :lol: :big_smile:

8. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hey buddah a size 8 hook is fine what needs to be remembered is this those match the hatch baits have a time and place but up north the water is still cold . the the fish are not going to use a lot of energy
    chasing any thing in cold water when they can just suck in something tiny that looks like easy pickings .

9. JHow

JHow New Member

State:
    South East
    I'm having fun with little beetle spins

10. ibcleary

ibcleary New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    They were tearing up my cheep yellow dry fly here in NC this morning. I'm sure something with white wings would have worked better, but I did not have it. 6 fish hooked in 2 hours. Many more hit it.

11. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    we use worms or cricketts

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    My daughter and I put 16 in the bait bucket in about an hour yesterday using redworms. The fish in my area have moved shallow seeking out bedding areas to spawn, so look for shallow soft sandy bottoms near the bank. We were catching fish in 1-2 feet of water.

13. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    go with the super cheap hotdogs at the store but make sure the have skin on them, bacon, red worm, basicly everything everyone has said so far works, the ones in the creak behind my house will even eat a minnow.

14. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Little rooster tails are fun to use but I think red wigglers are the most productive.

15. joeczar

joeczar New Member

State:
    Parma, Ohio
    I alway use a weighted bobber, ice jig and maggots always caught lots with that set-up

16. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    A fly about 2 feet behind a float. Try different kinds of floats. I like to use the Styrofoam ones that have the lead peg with the hole in it. They cast a long way and can be popped for extra attraction.

17. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I always use crickets. They seem to outproduce everything else.

18. BassTrackerMac

BassTrackerMac New Member

State:
    Liberty, SC
    Good stuff from all so far......Has anyone tried small or tiny cut pieces of Fatback? I've had great luck :big_smile: using the fatback and alot of times you can use the same piece of fat multiple times without having to re-bait your hook. Once you get the fat down over the barb, it won't hardly come off. Give it a try and let me know how you do. I almost won't use anything else. It helps if the fatback is pretty fresh. Just seems like they can't resist the flavor.

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Another little trick that will work is frozen corn. Frozen because it stays on the hook better and is more fresh than straight can corn. Can corn will work.Give it a try and see how it works for you. Cheep and easy to find.:lol::smile2:

20. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I often use a Worden's Rooster Tail, 1/16. In fact, I keep a full supply of these spinners and little else in the tackle box. I have never fished the local lake without catching redears and bluegill.

So effective have these lures been for me, that if I throw one out and don't get a bite right away, I move to a different shore spot. If I don't get a bite the second time, I know it's going to be a slow day!

Yesterday was slow... I caught a good half-pound bluegill and called it a day...