Best Bait for trout fishing and trout rigging?

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by Haze, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Haze

Haze New Member

State:
    Texas
    I live in Texas and in about a week or so they are stocking the pond near my house. I want to take my boys fishing but am unsure on the best bait as well as the rig setup and hook size. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i live in amarillo and kill the trout on braum's buttermilk biscuit dough. i use a #12 mustad treble and no weight. my rig is a 5' berkley lightning rod, shimano 2000D spinning reel, and 6 pound vanish fluorocarbon. works good for me, and the trout really like this stuff for bait.

oh yeah, WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!

3. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    In my area in California, the general recommendation for stocked trout is chartruse Power Bait(r). I'll usually use two Power Bait Eggs(r) on a #6 octopus hook, with a leader made with six-pound line. Hook should go through center of eggs, and both point an barb should be exposed. Leader length varies with local conditions; you want to have the bait floating to the general depth where the fish are.

I'll have a sliding sinker on my main line, terminated with a #14 snap swivel. I'll then attach the leader to the swivel.

After I've cast, I'll use a bobber as a strike indicator. To make this, open a paper clip so that it is in an "s" shape, an clip it to the bobber. Hang this between two eyes of your rod and let it hang down about 6" to 9". If you see the bobber move up or down, it's probably a fish. Side to side is just the wind.

If you see indication of a fish, remove the bobber and take up the slack. Once you see your line moving, set the hook. You may need to adjust the timing to suit your situation.

-- Rich

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    any hook, line and sinker will do. and you cant go wrong with throwing on a bobber and useing worms for bait... because it sounds to me that you dont have alot of experiance with fishing.. and if thats so i you really cant go wrong with a cheap rod and reel just to get the feel for things and once you get a better understanding for the sport you can grow as much as you would like..

Oh yeah welcome to the BOC also

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome haze,like the others said ,most any prepared trout bait ,salmon eggs ,or even mini marshmallows work ,keep the line light ,and hooks small ,no bigger than a size 6 works best.

6. Haze

Haze New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the help everyone. I have virtually no experience with fresh water fishing. I have always done saltwater. I don't how well salt water techniques translate into fresh water fishing.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey haze for trout i don't think saltwater would translate very well, but for big cats you should be right on! i was going to say that zebco makes these inderspin combos that are modell 11's. they are real light and perfect for trout. my girls are 3 and 7 and they cast them just fine. what part of texas are you in?

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Use the same tackle you would use for bluegill or other bait fish. And use the same baits, a kernel of canned yellow corn or a mini marshmallow. These are tame fish, if they see something that looks like food they will eat it. Any big ones you catch will be breeders that have gotten to old to be useful.

9. Parasite

Parasite New Member

State:
    N.Colorado
    Down here in CO fly fishin is the way to go but if you are using bait then you can't beat salmon eggs and worms. If you are fishin for stockers then use a slip sinker rig with a sixe 8 or 6 baitholder. I ve always had a bad hook up rate with octopus hooks. I have probably caught more trout in 5 hours with this setup than most people catch in their lifetime :wink:. Trout fishins year round here so I have plenty of time to hone my skills. For wild trout i use natural stuff on bobbers like worms, tiny bugs, mealworm like things that I dig up in rivers and what not. Another tip on trout fishing is to not set the hook to hard on them, if you do it will rip it from their soft mouths. Good Luck!

10. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    Somethings that i always use for bait that work for me that you might want to consider are yellow, white and rainbow power bait. Along with Corn (right outa the can), salmon eggs and nightcrawlers.

Or you can go with a pistol pete setup.

11. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Depends if they want a floating or a sinking bait, but the powerbait dough, and eggs work well!

12. Haze

Haze New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks everyone for the help.

I live in Houston

13. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    One thing to check if you do use octopus hooks is that they have an offset; if you lay it flat on a table, the part with the point and barb should be at about a 5 to 10 degree angle with respect to the shank. I've had very good luck with the Renegade brand from Wal Mart.

Of course, if you found something that works well for you, there's no reason to change.

-- Rich

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Haze - Welcome to the B.O.C.! :0a25: :0a23: Some other excellent Trout baits that no one has mentioned yet are waxworms, mealworms, maggots and minnows!

15. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    welcome haze!!!! i could give you endless advise on trout... thats what i've primarilly caught for many years here in utah... however when catching stocked trout in texas .... massa jorge has experience... seen it... i'd let him take me out:0a18:

16. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    i catch rainbows using a fly called a pistol peet you can buy them at walmart. i slay planters and wild fish on them they are just like a spinner but they are flys.

17. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I grew up on a trout stream and have been catching them since I was 4. In streams, I like using helegramites (the best), Minnows (2nd best) and worms followed by black roostertail spinners and small rapalas. I've only fished for trout in a pond once and it was when I moved to the city from the country when I was 13. I nice old man taught me to mix kernel corn with a whole lot of garlic over night. and thats what we'd catch trout on. He later passed away but left me his rod. A family member actually went to look for me at the pond to give it to me since I was a regular there.

18. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    The trout that I catch here are stocked into lakes / ponds. The bait of chose by most of the fishermen there is Berkley Powerbait. The most common method is tight-line on the bottom with a small treble hook. I fished Taneycomo in southwest Missouri and we use to troll using "little Cleo's".

19. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    am from upstate ny alot of trout fishing when they first stock you can use can corn on a hook or salmon eggs work we mostly used just old garden worms good luck bob

20. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    1/2 a nightcrawler with a split shot not far from the hook. or a white rooster tail with the little black dots on it are deadly here and they are really cheap..

I use #4 0r #6 vanish fluro line only for trout.